PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 08-29-2010, 11:49 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
I think perhaps you should try one of Digital navy's freebie ships not for any other reason in than feeling how much stiffness you can get into a cardboard hull. They are not simple ships they may lack lots of detail like Halinski but otherwise you will have to work hard to get your usual standard. DN designs well and you can learn most of the design tricks from him.

You seem to have a mind set that says take a plan and make it in wood you can equally say take a plan and make it in card. I have never built a sailing ship and won't because my fingers will not cope with the rigging but I think after a couple of stabs I could build the base of the the hull ready for planking and detailing. If that is your preferred basis of building ships then go for it make a few frames do a bit of planking. However I would suggest that if you want a long hull then use some heavy fishplates and look long and hard where you can glue them out of sight and if you have to use odd lengths of card to fit to these limitations ok. Doris I believe uses a lot of super glue on her hulls which turns card into the equivalent of concrete.

It's fun most of the time and chucking some paper and glue in a bin for another try costs nothing virtually. I am now on my third hull for Richelieu.

ps rule of thumb keep your frames within 2 " inches of each other Luckily with a lot of ships of the line the decks are pretty close together anyway which gives the wedding cake effect and is solid.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:55 PM

Good advice, Barry... There are a lot of us who are glad you're here.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:21 PM

Thanks again for your input and advice. I'm definitely going to take another stab at it but right now I'm under pressure from my business to get masts and yardarms made and rigging attached on the HMS Vanguard (also a 74 gun ship similar to Bellona) for my customers who paid in advance. Once I get that work done I'll be able to devote some time to another attempt. I'll keep you posted when I get started again.

Take care,

Bob
Old 08-31-2010, 06:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Wonderful insight and advice, bazzer! You always speak the simply yet essential truths of this craft, which are so very helpful to all of us.

I wish you all the best with your current projects, Bob, and hope they are quite profitable. I also look forward to the time when you are able to work on a paper model once again, and know you will enjoy the process with that first attempt under your belt...selfishly, I look forward to seeing your amazing talents applied to paper models knowing in little time we will be seeing some extraordinary stuff from your work station.

Cheers!
Jim
Old 08-07-2012, 09:20 PM

Tell the Truth

Great!
It couldn't have happened to a more deserving clown.
Why?
I was a "student" in the so called "College of ShipModel Building".
Freshman, Sophomore, Junior and Senior.
Sent a lot of money to Bob Hunt.
Was in everyone of his private forums.
One day, Bob sent me a private message, asking me to make him some masters to be cast in resin for an upcoming practicum.
(I think it was for the Halifax.)
Because he had learned of my toolmaking skills ( was a toolmaker for fifty years before retiring.
I said yes.
Next day, I e-mailed him and said I would make the masters, but I thought my time and skills were worth some recompense.
I mentioned no amount.
Wham! Bam!
Next thing you know , Bob was ridiculing every post I made in each of the forums, etc.
Abruptly banned me and deleted all reference to myself.
Sgt Glick USMC ( RET.) 1st Marine Air Wing 1951-1953 Korea
I certainly did not get what I paid for.

[QUOTE=Bob Hunt;145645]Hello,

My name is Bob Hunt and I'm in pursuit of building my first card stock model of an old wooden ship. I've got 4 kits on hand right now - HMS Victory, HMS Bellona, HMS Cleopatra, and La Belle Poule. I hope to eventually build all 4.

I have an extensive background in model shipbuilding with over 20 years of wooden shipbuilding experience. I own a small business called The Lauck Street Shipyard LLC and my primary products are a series of detailed instructions on how to build certain wooden model ship kits. I market these detailed instructions as "The College of Model Shipbuilding".

Recently my wife and I have gone through a major life change. Our company used to design and produce wooden plank on frame model ship kits. I'm attaching some photos of some of the kits I designed and we produced. But the economy took its toll on our kit sales and the loss of income forced us out of the model ship kit business. In the end, we lost our house (which included over 1900 sq ft of workshop space) and are now living in an apartment. Apartment living isn't the best environment for wooden model shipbuilding. So I thought perhaps I could continue my model shipbuilding by working in a more apartment friendly medium, card stock modeling.
Google Adsense
Old 08-08-2012, 12:04 AM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
And This too is Fun...,

Lex Talionis?

We are actually all here for the relaxation that card modeling gives us - not to retaliate or buffoon our way in to the good graces of others.

I suggest that both of you find another forum where you can "duke it out" otherwise please leave the good members of this forum alone...,

-Gil
Old 08-09-2012, 06:52 AM

Question Tell the Truth

Say Gil,
supposng that had happened to you?
How would you feel?
What would you do?
Sgt Glick
Old 08-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Absolute Final Dimensional Contortionist Judicator

Total Downloaded: 398.11 MB
Sgt Glick,

You do realize that you're posting on a dead thread? There had been no activity on it for almost 2 years until you responded.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:11 PM

Red face Tell the Truth

Dear Armorman,
I have been out of town......*
Catching up with old business......
Sgt. Glick
* = Iraq