PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 09-03-2010, 11:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 190.42 MB
new in the hobby

HI, my name is Carlos and I live in Almada, just across the river in front of Lisbon, Portugal' capital.
Played with cardmodels in my youth, some 50 years ago. Never thought that this media was so alive and kicking.
Been working with plastic in the last 30 years or so, lately focusing on boxed dioramas. For health reasons I had to stop with more elaborate projects, but I'm finding a very soothing effect working with papermodel, free downloaded from the net (1).
They are quite crude, but within my limits I hope to improve in this particular media. Forums play a major role providing that help. I hope I can pay back what I have been receiving.

(1) By no means I'm implying that papermodels are easier (there are many levels, some of them I don't even dare to try). They're just cheaper...
Best regards to all
Carlos Filipe
Google Adsense
Old 09-04-2010, 12:07 AM

newcomer

Hi! My name is Carlos Filipe and I live on the other side of the river, just in front of Lisbon, Portugal's capital.
I played (that is the right term) with cardmodels in my youth, some 50 years ago. Never imagined that this media was so alive and kicking. The computer graphics brought outstanding improvements, specially on the design of complex shapes and perfect fittings. As for the graphic style I'm divided between the somewhat retro look of some models or the "photorealism" of others.
I've been a plastic modellers for the last 30 years or so. lateley I was focusing my work on boxed dioramas. Health reasons made me stop, the "bug" of modelling still hitching, I rediscoverd one year ago papermodelling. I find very soothing to build models I download free from the net. If I ruin a part I can print it again...
My models are quite crude and simple. Maybe it happens to all, when starting, I have no favourite theme.
In spite of my limitations I feel I have learned a lot browsing in the net. Forums play a major role.
I just hope I can pay back with my small contribution to this large community that passes on their experience and knowledge.
Best regards to all
Carlos Filipe
Old 09-04-2010, 08:14 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
welcome and there is lots of good kits on here in the download section and on canon and yamaha have some super bikes on their site.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Welcome, Carlos! You will find a wide range of subjects in paper and the results are entirely dependent on the time and effort you put in - browse the threads for examples ranging from "I can do that" to "simply amazing."
Yogi
Old 09-04-2010, 05:05 PM

Hi Carlos, welcome !!!!
Google Adsense
Old 09-05-2010, 04:58 AM

thank you all for the warm welcome
Rgds
Carlos
Old 09-05-2010, 07:27 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Welcome Carlos. Sorry to hear you have health issues, but pleased to hear you derive some relaxation whilst building the paper models. Enjoy your stay. Look forward to seeing some builds from you
Old 09-06-2010, 11:39 PM

Hi Peter:
Papermodels have a different approach and particular techniques that I'm still discovering (that is always an endless quest). So some of my shortcomings can be atributed to the fact I'm still in the exploration phase.
My health reasons are a stroke that gave me some "special features", one being a terrible coordination between my sight and my hands. Annoying but not dramatic. Some days I can work on the hobby others it is useless.
My proficiency isn't going to much better then now. So I measure my models mostly for the pleasure they give me building and particularly, finishing them.
These are obvioulsly not the main goals of most participants in this forum, so I allways will be a little "out of tune". It doesn't bother me, hope it doesn't bother the community.
I joined this forum (I'm associated to another in portuguese language Modelismo na Net • Página índice) because I find important these virtual social networks to learn, share and get some encouragement regarding the hobby. Publishing a thread is a comitment, it compells us to do our best.
I placed some photos on my member's gallery, soon I'll publish some threads.
Rgds
Carlos
Old 09-07-2010, 01:08 AM

Hi Carlos!
Be welcome. I live in Barcelona, Spain... not that far.

Un saludo afectuoso!
Old 09-07-2010, 11:53 PM

Grŕcies Mauri, in fact we're neighbours.
Great town, Barcelona.
Rgds
Carlos
Google Adsense