PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Zio Prudenzio Contest

Old 06-03-2011, 01:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
The last of the "big" pieces are on...now to take the wife into town for some shopping, and give my poor tired eyes a bit of a break.

Zio Prudenzio Contest - Gr-950-39.jpg
Old 06-04-2011, 05:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks great! And fast work, as well.

The running gear certainly looks complicated.

Don
Old 06-04-2011, 07:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Impressive. I know this isn't an easy model, but how would you rate it on a scale of difficulty? Trying to sort out if it's worth my ever even trying it.
Chris
Old 06-04-2011, 11:02 AM

Don, the running gear really isn't quite as complicated as it looks. Between the photos and Zio's construction diagrams, it is fairly easy to figure out. However, if you do try the build, I recommend putting a bit of a dogleg in the longer of the driving rods (parts 114 and 115) at the end where it connects to the slider (or whatever the complicated technical term is...I like choo-choos, but am not a fanatic about them). That part, left straight as the diagrams show, is about 1/16 inch too long to fit between the attachment points. I just snipped off the end of the rods, but it would have been a lot more elegant to just to bend in a jog (Z-bend) near the slider attachment. That would "take up the slack" in the connecting rod and make the rod lie flatter against the wheels, and would make things fit a bit better in that mess of equipment near the driving piston.

Chris, I would class the difficulty of this model as somewhere between a 3 and 4 on the 1-5 scale. Between Zio's assembly diagrams and the photos on his web page, it wasn't too hard figuring out where parts go, allthough it would have helped immensely if the parts numbers has been shown on the parts pages. Zio did provide lots of location markers (little white spaces) to show the attachment points for the fiddly stuff, and they are accurate. The difficulty is more to do with cutting and holding the fiddly bits (at least of those parts now reside in my keyboard, likely underneath the space bar). A couple of curve-tipped, reverse-acting tweezers (the ones that default to the closed position) and lots of new number 11 blades are a must for this build. From what I've seen of your build threads, I think you should try it....just measure twice and cut once (and lots of dryfitting before reaching for the glue bottle).
Old 06-04-2011, 11:17 AM

Thanks for the detailed info! I am saving all of your photos and commentary in hopes of trying this one (which will be my second successful locomotive build if I ever complete the very simple loco that I downloaded from one of the German forums several years ago and that has been awaiting completion ever since).

Don
Google Adsense
Old 06-04-2011, 11:44 AM

Don, if you decide to do the loco, I recommend making one of the train cars first...what I learned from building the snowplow sure made this build go better. And, one thing about doing his wheels...I cheated and just backed the outside face of the wheels on 1mm stock, and didn't bother with trying to build up the rim ala Zio.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
And, one thing about doing his wheels...I cheated and just backed the outside face of the wheels on 1mm stock, and didn't bother with trying to build up the rim ala Zio.
Boy, am I glad to hear that! I haven't gotten to the point where I can consistently do build up wheels like these to my satisfaction.
Good to hear that you rate this one where you do. It seems like its within my comfort range. Thanks.
Chris
Old 06-05-2011, 05:34 PM

Finished. During the last stage of the build, I encountered a couple of parts shown on the construction drawing that weren't included in the parts pages. Fortunately, one of the parts (the sander actuating linkage) was a Left-Right type part, and one of the sides was on the parts, so just had to flip it in photoshop and reprint. The other (the rail on the forward part of the boiler) was missing entirely, but I was able to fudge it by reprinting the rails on the top of the water side tanks and cut out a segment of the correct length to replace the missing ones.

Zio Prudenzio Contest - Gr-950-40.jpgZio Prudenzio Contest - Gr-950-41.jpgZio Prudenzio Contest - Gr-950-42.jpgZio Prudenzio Contest - Gr-950-43.jpg
Old 06-05-2011, 05:39 PM

Looks great. That's a lot of small cutting there. Congratulations! And thanks for the insight and the construction notes on this as well.
Chris
Old 06-05-2011, 06:04 PM

Beautiful! I can hear the hiss of steam.

Don
Google Adsense