PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Zio Prudenzio Contest

Old 06-15-2011, 08:15 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Don:
I like that last image showing the wheels and the frame.
Looks excellent.
Mike
Old 06-15-2011, 08:34 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Despite all your trials and tribulations with this little model, it's really looking very nice.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
An Rolls-Royce Armoured Car is one I have long wanted to build accurately.
The few diecast metal models that emerged about a decade ago were not only hideously expensive (around 50 or 60 $ NZ each) but virtually unobtainable.
A decent paper model has been very hard to find, especially with a properly roofed turret, as opposed to the Cyrenaica ca 1941 versions that became available.

It being that I detest the roofless turrets, my search has been both long and difficult.

Kind and Respectful Regards,

Uyraell.

Last edited by Uyraell; 06-16-2011 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Typographic error.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Mission Complete

22 June

Tonight, after a two week absence (onslaught of end of academic year teaching, Antietam Staff Ride, arrival of a new batch of Distance Education students to get acquainted with during their Resident Course, and some writing and copyediting projects) I finished up the Rolls, sort of.

I appreciate the kind and encouraging words, Chris, Mike, Don, and Uyraell.

Uyraell, you may have noticed Chris Gutzmer’s build of Roman’s post-WWI Rolls Royce 1920 pattern armored car with enclosed turret. I also tried my hand at that one, as have several others of our Forum buddies. GPM also has a 1920 pattern Rolls Royce (I have one on order): GPM - modele kartonowe

When I got to work, I found that I was somewhat out of practice and that there were a number of challenges (learning experiences that I will apply to the next, better version).

After some trimming and squishing I managed to get the front cab glued in place. I also glued the top of the windscreen to the landau top. After the glue set, I realized that the windscreen was canted forward, so I cut the top away from the landau cover, slicing a piece out of the front of the cover. I covered that with an extra top cut from bond paper. I also discovered that the entire cab is tilted slightly to port. No way to fix that except by choosing my camera angles carefully (Image 1).

Next, I discovered that the engine bonnet (hood, in Yankspeak) must be flat at the rear to match up with the cowl of the cab. I glued in a piece of paper to insure flatness, glued on the front of the headlamps (which were too big), cut out the rear of the lamps and mashed them to shape with my Shrike Rolystyk (Image 2).

While the headlamps were drying, I cut out a strip from the spare copy of the model, punched out a radiator cap, and glued it in place to give some dimensionality to the radiator shell (Image 3). You can see the Carden-Loyd in the background. I will resume work on it this weekend when my hands are steady.

Image 4 is a close up. Sophie looks on as her automobile takes shape.

Images 5 and 6 are the only photos I took that downplay the flaws. Nonetheless, in addition to some gaps, lumpiness, and other infelicities, The bonnet is higher in the front than in the back, there is the aforementioned tilt of the front cab, and the axles seem to be set too far fore and aft.

However, Sophie and I declare this build complete. Now back to the Breda and the Carden-Loyd, and perhaps the next, improved, Rolls Royce, on which I will apply what I learned from this one.

I will keep you informed.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Prudenzio Contest - Rolls Royce by Boose-zio-rolls-royce-019.jpg   Prudenzio Contest - Rolls Royce by Boose-zio-rolls-royce-020.jpg   Prudenzio Contest - Rolls Royce by Boose-zio-rolls-royce-021.jpg   Prudenzio Contest - Rolls Royce by Boose-zio-rolls-royce-022.jpg   Prudenzio Contest - Rolls Royce by Boose-zio-rolls-royce-023.jpg  

Prudenzio Contest - Rolls Royce by Boose-zio-rolls-royce-024.jpg  

Last edited by Don Boose; 06-22-2011 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Change starboard to port (port wine is red; red right returning; the pointed end goes first . . .)
Old 06-22-2011, 09:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Nice clean build Don. Sophie looks pleased with her ride. Whatever flaws it had seem to have succumbed to your ' trimming and squishing'.
Google Adsense
Old 06-23-2011, 01:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
A very Nicely done build, Don, and thank you for the point to Chris Gutzmer's build, and the Kartonwe build. I'm certain Sophie Will enjoy the car as you've built it.

At the International Pan-Pacific Rally in 2000, I had the pleasure of seeing a Rolls Royce very similar to yours here, and yes, it was on "artillery wheels" ie: wooden-spoked.
There were some 1,960 veteran and vintage cars present for that rally, and I saw most.
I'd say that will have been a "once in a lifetime" experience, yet one I'm very glad of.

This has been an interesting and informative build, with a very fine model resulting.

Kind and Respectful Regards Don, Uyraell.

Last edited by Uyraell; 06-23-2011 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Typographic error.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:00 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Looks like a fne job on a difficult subject Don. Thanks for the ride Dogface!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 06-23-2011, 07:19 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
That came out very nice. A superior job as always.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:12 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Well Don,
After all the imperfections you described in your monologue, I was expecting quite a bit less than what you show in the images. The last two pictures are wonderful, revealing none of the problems you talked about. I am looking forward to the next one.
Mike
Old 06-24-2011, 01:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
I can just picture Sophie out for here Sunday afternoon drive. This came out nicely indeed, Don.
Chris
Google Adsense