PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Zio Prudenzio Contest

Old 06-07-2011, 11:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Chris, didn't mean to forget responding to your comment....the tweezers are large (tad over 5 inches). If you don't have at least one of these reverse-acting, curved tweezers, you should get some....they make absolutely great clamps for holding together small parts while gluing, burnishing down tabs to get good glue adhesion, etc. Plus, they work well to hold fiddly parts until they get glued down to the assembly.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
You know, I've got a couple of pair of these and never even thought to use them in paper modeling. Thanks for tip!
Chris
Old 06-08-2011, 07:39 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Beautiful straight and true frame Darwin! That's the beginning necessary for any fine car. I'm looking forward to seeing this develop.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Wow! That engine is really impressive. BTW, if you want to simulate actual springs, laminate 110# cardstock with superglue to the curve needed. Even scale size, the card will easily support the finished model.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:16 PM

Charles, if I do another one after (I hope) finishing this proof-it-can-be-done build, I will try adding a few superdetails like built-up leaf springs. I agree with you that after building up a set of leafs using superglue, the load-bearing strength is unbelievable. A few more pics of continuing progress...the exhaust stubs were fairly easy. The grill/radiator assembly was pretty straightforward, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out the purpose of some of the tabs....so I just cut off the ones I couldn't figure out. It may come around to bite me in the heine later, but I should be able to fake it when it happens. It looks as if it is possible to make working 1:24 scale working piano hinges. The real ones I made back in school metalshop were lots easier than these are proving to be...but with a little help from superglue and not rushing things, it can be built by a guy with moderate building skills. The hinges really are functional...they work quite smoothly.

Prudensio Alpha Romeo-61.jpgPrudensio Alpha Romeo-62.jpgPrudensio Alpha Romeo-63.jpgPrudensio Alpha Romeo-64.jpgPrudensio Alpha Romeo-65.jpgPrudensio Alpha Romeo-66.jpgPrudensio Alpha Romeo-67.jpg
Old 06-09-2011, 05:38 AM
Banned

I was going to suggest building up the leave springs too. It really brings a model to life, details like that. The piano hinges came out beautiful!! I might have to build this one! There are a few models out there that could benefit from those piano hinges you made. Really nice build!
Old 06-09-2011, 11:03 PM

A day of frustrations...the 40 inch LCD TV arrived in time for the birthday, but when the box was opened, I found the remote had been smashed during transit. Walmart says to bring it back and they will have a replacement shipped...another two weeks before being able to enjoy it. The frustration is that they can't work just with the broken remote....the entire SOB has to be shipped back. I tried working with the 'manufacturer' of the TV, but since the damage occurred during shipment, they won't stand by the warrantee, and can't just sell me a replacement remote. INSANE....no wonder America's economy is in the toilet with such stupid, stupid policies. Rant, rant.

On the building front, the hood is finished. For those thinking of attempting a build themselves...my technique was: first, shape the hood pieces to fit around the curves in the radiator assy and firewall. Then valley fold the tabs that will make up the hinges. Take a straight pin, hold it behind the first hinge tab, and bend the tab around the pin. Use thumb nail to conform the tab snugly around the pin. Holding the end of the tab closed against the hood piece, remove the pin and place a small bit of superglue to the outside of the hinge cylinder in order to harden it. When dry, use the thumb nail to press the end of the tab against the hood piece and place a small bit of superglue against the edge of the tab, letting capillary action suck the glue into the joint. Only about the last 1/64th inch of the tab end serves for the joining tab...the rest of the hinge tab makes up the cylinder. Carefully pry the thumbnail from where you cemented it to the part, and when glue is dry, reinsert the pin into the hinge cylinder. Repeat, repeat, repeat.....

Once the first hinge tab is completed, it can be used to help steady and position the pin for doing each successive tab. When all hinge tabs are formed, check for alignment of the hinge cylinders by running a length of wire into it. I used piano wire with a slightly smaller diameter than the pin for the hinge. When you can easily run the piano wire into the hinge half, remove the wire and glue in place the interior hood pieces. When dry, use lengths of piano wire to join the hinges together. The two outer hinges of the hood should have the wire cut off flush with the ends of the hinges. For the center hinge, leave the wire long enough so about 1/8 inch extends beyond each end of the hinge...this will be used for attaching the hood assembly to the radiator assy and car body. Slow work, but the finished product is worth it.

Prudensio Alpha Romeo-68.jpgPrudensio Alpha Romeo-69.jpgPrudensio Alpha Romeo-70.jpg
Old 06-10-2011, 12:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Like those hinges, have done similar with thin brass for plastic models. Guess its time to step up and try it in paper now that I've seen yours. Because you're correct in that it just adds so much to the finished look.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Beautiful work on the hinges. A very valuable tutorial!

It's most enjoyable to watch you at work.

Don
Old 06-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
A day of frustrations...the 40 inch LCD TV arrived in time for the birthday, but when the box was opened, I found the remote had been smashed during transit. Walmart says to bring it back and they will have a replacement shipped...another two weeks before being able to enjoy it. The frustration is that they can't work just with the broken remote....the entire SOB has to be shipped back. I tried working with the 'manufacturer' of the TV, but since the damage occurred during shipment, they won't stand by the warrantee, and can't just sell me a replacement remote. INSANE....no wonder America's economy is in the toilet with such stupid, stupid policies. Rant, rant.

On the building front, the hood is finished. For those thinking of attempting a build themselves...my technique was: first, shape the hood pieces to fit around the curves in the radiator assy and firewall. Then valley fold the tabs that will make up the hinges. Take a straight pin, hold it behind the first hinge tab, and bend the tab around the pin. Use thumb nail to conform the tab snugly around the pin. Holding the end of the tab closed against the hood piece, remove the pin and place a small bit of superglue to the outside of the hinge cylinder in order to harden it. When dry, use the thumb nail to press the end of the tab against the hood piece and place a small bit of superglue against the edge of the tab, letting capillary action suck the glue into the joint. Only about the last 1/64th inch of the tab end serves for the joining tab...the rest of the hinge tab makes up the cylinder. Carefully pry the thumbnail from where you cemented it to the part, and when glue is dry, reinsert the pin into the hinge cylinder. Repeat, repeat, repeat.....

Once the first hinge tab is completed, it can be used to help steady and position the pin for doing each successive tab. When all hinge tabs are formed, check for alignment of the hinge cylinders by running a length of wire into it. I used piano wire with a slightly smaller diameter than the pin for the hinge. When you can easily run the piano wire into the hinge half, remove the wire and glue in place the interior hood pieces. When dry, use lengths of piano wire to join the hinges together. The two outer hinges of the hood should have the wire cut off flush with the ends of the hinges. For the center hinge, leave the wire long enough so about 1/8 inch extends beyond each end of the hinge...this will be used for attaching the hood assembly to the radiator assy and car body. Slow work, but the finished product is worth it.

Attachment 91274Attachment 91275Attachment 91276

You should make "Walmart" an offer for the damaged T.V., telling them the "Shipping and Handling" costs, and subsequent repackaging would not be worth it to them, then give them a "low ball" offer, saying you will pass on the warranty. I have done this many times and have obtained some nice stuff that way. The New TV will come in and everyone will be happy!

The engine hood looks great. Being able to pose that model with the engine open like that will be very nice.
Google Adsense