PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Zio Prudenzio Contest

Old 06-23-2011, 04:45 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormax View Post
I have never tried a biplane with rigging so be looking for builds to see how to do them
Look for Dr. Laser's rigging tutorial or my Albatros D.III build where I used his technique for a great way to do rigging. The link to my Albatros build is in my builds thread in my signature.

Edit: Links:

Rigging Aircraft with Tippet

Marek Albatros D.III (Oeffag) - 1:72

/threadjack
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds

Last edited by cMags; 06-23-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
She's looking good, Darwin!

Wyvern
Old 06-24-2011, 11:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
After struggling all evening with the rigging, I think I am beginning to look like Bill the Cat in the Bloom County cartoon strip. There is a very good reason that Zeo didn't rig these models. It is not at all pretty, so there are only before and after photos. After my experience tonight, I think it would be a very good idea to glue a piece of fine music wire into the leading edge of the wings to help stiffen them during the rigging process.

Prudenzio contest Albatros DV-07.jpgPrudenzio contest Albatros DV-08.jpgPrudenzio contest Albatros DV-09.jpgPrudenzio contest Albatros DV-10.jpgPrudenzio contest Albatros DV-11.jpg

One more session and this one should be done. Next on the agenda is the Red Baron version...however, some photoshopping needs to be done first. In that version, the upper side of the lower wing seems to be a bit wider than it needs to be to get a good fit to the lower side. I need to cut out the upper side, reduce the width (depth?) by about 5 percent while leaving the span the same, then rejoin to the lower side.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:18 AM

One more completed. These Zio single-pagers are like popcorn....addictive. You can't build just one....

Prudenzio contest Albatros DV-12.jpgPrudenzio contest Albatros DV-13.jpgPrudenzio contest Albatros DV-14.jpg
Old 06-25-2011, 11:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Wow! Fantastic! I love the way this one came out and you've done a great job with the rigging.
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 06-25-2011, 01:53 PM

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. As I said, you can't build just one...rather than clutter up the contest forum with separate threads for each plane (of the same type, anyway), I'll use this thread for however many Albatroses I wind up putting together before getting absolutely sick of them. I don't know how that affects the beancounting for the contest, but whatever.... So, the Red Baron is up...as mentioned before, this time I glued some piano wire into the leading edge of the wings. Since the lower wing needs a bit of dihedral, I used two pieces of wire, with a break at the center of the wing. The photo of the piano wire insertion also shows the underscoring I am doing at each wing rib location. The effect is subtle, but does make a bit of a difference. I did do the photoshopping on the lower wing...I reduced the chord of the upper part of the wing by 2 percent...a 3 percent reduction may have actually been a bit better, but I can live with it as it is. The third wing in the pic (at the top of the pic) is the original size, the wing in the middle is the corrected wing. Just a few percent of reduction made a tremendous difference in how easy it was to glue the trailing edges without creating creases in the upper surface by having to force the original wing into submission. Just a very minor tweak, and probably not noticible to the casual observer, but a big change to ease of construction of the model.

Prudenzio contest Albatros DV-15.jpgPrudenzio contest Albatros DV-16.jpg
Old 06-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
One more completed. These Zio single-pagers are like popcorn....addictive. You can't build just one....

Attachment 93038Attachment 93039Attachment 93040
yeah they sure are i plan on building one more plane maybe two.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Fine work ! I love the ringing...
Old 06-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
I have seen these modes for many years. I can't help thinking that you are bringing much to them with your building skills. They look great!!
Old 06-26-2011, 06:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Darwin,

That came out fantastic! Very impressive rigging. I know what you mean about the addictive. I look forward to seeing your next one.

Jeff
Google Adsense