PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Zio Prudenzio Contest

Old 06-28-2011, 08:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Prudenzio Contest Macchi C200

I'm under a constant barrage by real life these days, so web-visiting and paper modeling are suffering for it. But in a valiant effort to push back the onslaught of reality, I'm attempting to build Zio's Macchi C200. This continues my streak of Regia Aeronautica planes and I'll only have the Breda left after this.
Prudenzio Contest Macchi C200-img_5086.jpg
This one has the cowl bumps that the Breda also has, but these are larger, so hopefully that means easier.
Prudenzio Contest Macchi C200-img_5088.jpg
This is as far as I could get in the little time I had sitting on the floor watching the news last night. Once again I've gone with separate tabs in lieu of Zio's double tab system.
So far it's been a pleasure!
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 06-28-2011, 02:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I was wondering where you were, Chris! I have the same problem these days and may not be able to resume work on my Zios until next week.

Meanwhile, your MC.200 looks great. I await with interest your fabrication of the rocker arm blisters.

Don
Old 06-28-2011, 02:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Chris,

That is looking great thus far. I'm looking forward to following this thread. I must admit this contest has made me do more studying on Italian WWII aircraft. Quite interesting.

I know what you mean about real life getting in the way. I have some time this weekend. Hopefully we can catch up, eh?

Jeff
Old 06-28-2011, 06:04 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I'm looking forward to seeing your build unfold, Chris. The C200 will be a great addition to your stable. It's interesting that you've departed from the double tab system. I find I actually prefer it now, and have used it in the two 1/72 non-Zio airplanes I'm building at this time.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:02 PM

The double tab system has the advantage of doing a better job of building a straighter fuselage, but I couldn't seem to get the ends to close tightly enough and it always wound up as too obvious a seam to me. It may just be me, but I can get a tighter fit using the separate tabs.

The only thing I've managed to get done on this today is the front of the cowl and the rocker arm blisters.
Prudenzio Contest Macchi C200-img_5092.jpg
Despite my fervent attempts to burnish in some rounder shapes, both the blisters and the cowl front came out flatter than I would have liked. I also managed to lose two of the blisters and had to cut them from scrap. I'm planning on painting over the blisters to disguise the seam a little, so hopefully that will help hide the white replacements?
Time to cut out those little squares in the canopy!
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 06-29-2011, 05:40 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Chris,

Well done. I think the rocker arm covers came out well. With a little touchup, they'll be even better.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 06-29-2011, 06:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Chris,

Those rocker arm covers came out great. This bird is coming along nice.

Jeff
Old 06-29-2011, 06:50 AM

As Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin would say, I give you joy of your excellent rocker arm blisters. I hope mine will turn out half so well when I get back to work on the Breda.

And Chris, could you post a couple of photos showing how you used joining strips in place of the double tabs? It may seem obvious, but since Zio's models are designed to be built with double tabs, I would be grateful for any info on whether you just use a single joining strip, or if you do anything else (multiple strips with notches, e.g.).

Don
Old 07-02-2011, 10:53 AM

Getting really tough to squeeze time in on this.
Don, I use strips the length of whatever straight section I'm doing and cut another strip for each section of straight. I haven't had to use a lot of notched strips as Zio's tabs are designed as straights in the first place;
I just cut Zio's tabs off, cut a strip to length and give it a little color, glue to one side then the other just like any other tab model. I don't think I've come across anything tricky with these on the ZP models so far.
Prudenzio Contest Macchi C200-img_5104.jpgPrudenzio Contest Macchi C200-img_5106.jpg

Painted the cowl (first coat) and it does help the blisters some;
Prudenzio Contest Macchi C200-img_5107.jpg

Also got all the wings and canopy on;
Prudenzio Contest Macchi C200-img_5108.jpg

Now onto the landing gear and props!
Chris
Old 07-02-2011, 11:08 AM

Oh my! That's beautiful.

Meanwhile, thanks for the info on the strips. That and seeing your superb Macchi makes my fingers itch to get back on the Breda (and the chat with Karl Warner makes me want to get back on the Carden-Loyd and the M3). If I wasn't embrangled with a manuscript review I would be on it right now. Maybe later today.

Don
Google Adsense