PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Zio Prudenzio Contest

Old 06-29-2011, 01:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Prudenzi Sopwith Camel

Of course, this is the next one I need for the mobile. Two in a row is about all I can stand to do of the same model...I still need another Albatross, but it can wait. For the Camel, I decided the struts definitely needed some piano wire reinforcement. And, since some of the newer members may not have seen the tutorial on underscoring ribs to make them stand out better, I have some pics to illustrate that step. As much trouble as I had with rigging the little @*)*()#%, it is a good thing I added the piano wire to all struts and to the wing leading edge. Caio for today.

Prudenzi Sopwith Camel-01.jpgPrudenzi Sopwith Camel-02.jpgPrudenzi Sopwith Camel-03.jpgPrudenzi Sopwith Camel-04.jpgPrudenzi Sopwith Camel-05.jpgPrudenzi Sopwith Camel-06.jpgPrudenzi Sopwith Camel-07.jpgPrudenzi Sopwith Camel-08.jpg
Prudenzi Sopwith Camel-09.jpg
Old 06-29-2011, 06:35 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Looks good. What glue to you use when attaching the struts to the fuselage or wings - PVA or something stronger?
Old 06-29-2011, 06:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Excellent tips for reinforcing and scoring the ribs. Noted!

Camel is looking very good.

Don
Old 06-29-2011, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the comments, Dons. I used Aileen's tacky glue to put the struts in position, and when that was dry, added a bit of superglue. And, as the rigging progressed, more and more superglue built up around the struts. All told, the rigging (even if simplified to just give an impression of being detailed) adds to the appearance of the model, but is more difficult on this scale than on a 1:32 model. This time I opted to use gray thread instead of black...I think it looks a bit better, especially at this small (about 1:50?) scale.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Great-looking Camel, Darwin!

Wyvern
Google Adsense
Old 06-29-2011, 06:40 PM

Another one done. The instructions show a Lewis gun on the upper wing, but no parts are provided for it.

Prudenzi Sopwith Camel-10.jpgPrudenzi Sopwith Camel-11.jpgPrudenzi Sopwith Camel-12.jpgPrudenzi Sopwith Camel-13.jpgPrudenzi Sopwith Camel-14.jpg
Old 06-29-2011, 07:00 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Darwin,

A good looking little Camel. Good on ya!

Have you considered using "transparent" nylon thread for your rigging? You should be able to find it at Michael's or Hobby Lobby if you have one.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 06-29-2011, 07:32 PM

For it's intended purpose as a mobile for a toddler's room, I am deliberately exaggerating the rigging of the models. For something that will be viewed from a distance of several feet (and only has a span of about four to five inches to start with), one might as well leave off the rigging altogether than to use transparent thread. Even for larger scale models that will occupy the display shelves of the man cave, my personal train of thought is that when I spend multiple hours of torture trying to get the rigging done acceptably, that rigging had darned well better grab the casual observer's attention and not blend into the background. I am happy with the appearance of the gray thread vs stark black. Different strokes for different folks, I guess....but I do have a spool of transparent thread on the building table for suspending the mobile pieces from once I have enough accumulated. Existing target is a half-dozen airplanes, a couple of fluffy clouds, and, of course, Snoopy and his doghouse.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:27 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
My apologies. No offense was meant.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 06-29-2011, 08:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Darwin,

You're really cranking these out quick. Thanks for the tips on this thread. Speaking of thread... AWESOME RIGGING JOB!!! Even more so considering the scale of these little gems.

Jeff
Google Adsense