PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Zio Prudenzio Contest

Old 07-02-2011, 02:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Prudenzio Mini Choo-Choos

I'm taking a break from the airplanes for a bit and decided to try the mini trains. Since there are some changes in design approach between the minis and his HO scale models, I start with one of the smaller ones...this first is the Gr 940. They will be slightly larger than N scale. This may be due to my rastorizing the files in photoshop and scaling the images up to 8.5 inches. My guess is that if I'd printed directly from the pdfs, they would be very close to N scale. As it is, I think these are closer to one half of OO scale (HOO?...I'm not afraid of coining words). My belief is that the key to making a decent train model is having a solid base platform to work from. I laminated two pieces of picture matting material together for the base platform, with came in just under 3mm thick. I added an additional 1mm of backing at the rear half of the engine base, then essentially wrapped the platform pieces around it. When cutting out the platform base, engage brain before knife. It can be a bit tricky figuring out which of the little lines at the fold are places to cut slits to form the "ears" that stick up above the finished platform and which are fold locations. The artwork is good enough that one can take the easy way out and not add the detailing parts for the wheels and running gear. I chose to challenge my cutting skills and are going for the detail...and it does make a real difference even when viewed from three or four feet away from the model.

Prudenzio Mini Choo-Choos-01.jpgPrudenzio Mini Choo-Choos-02.jpgPrudenzio Mini Choo-Choos-03.jpgPrudenzio Mini Choo-Choos-04.jpgPrudenzio Mini Choo-Choos-05.jpg
Old 07-02-2011, 04:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
I really don't understand how you manage to keep things so true on such a small scale. Even with a jig to work in, I always get skewed lines. This looks like the start of another great model!
Chris
Old 07-02-2011, 10:27 PM

Chris, Zio's precision in his kits is 90% of the battle for keeping stuff straight on these builds. There are only a few places where his parts don't fit perfectly, and in those cases the parts were a tiny bit too long, easily corrected by snipping a little. When installing the front platform, I found I had located the driving pistons too high on the side rails, so had to do a little surgery and relocate them. The cab/boiler assembly has not yet been glued down to the platform...just dry fit now for a photo session. The it looks as if some precision gluing will be necessary, but the fitup between the two main assemblies is about perfect. Cut careful, go slow, and dryfit often and most any paper cutter can get a good build from these kits.

Prudenzio Mini Choo-Choos-06.jpgPrudenzio Mini Choo-Choos-07.jpgPrudenzio Mini Choo-Choos-08.jpgPrudenzio Mini Choo-Choos-09.jpgPrudenzio Mini Choo-Choos-10.jpgPrudenzio Mini Choo-Choos-11.jpgPrudenzio Mini Choo-Choos-12.jpg
Old 07-02-2011, 10:29 PM

I forgot to mention the best edge coloring devices I've yet tried...crayola markers. They are teriffic, and even has a good gray shade in the mix.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Nice work on the micro Darwin. We seem to have similar taste when it comes to Zio's models. Have you looked for the track he shows the micros on?

BTW: Is that a “EAME Ribbon” with two campaign stars in the 3rd picture?
Google Adsense
Old 07-03-2011, 11:08 AM

Wayne, it certainly is. My tribute to my father on this Independence Day. It is one of the few of his decorations I got after he passed on...he gave most of his memorabilia to my son, who was part of Desert Storm and who just last week deployed home from Afganistan.

I haven't seen anything in paper for track for these little bitty minis. When I get the storage section dug out to the right boxes, I have some N-gauge track to try it on. If that doesn't pan out, I suppose it would be possible to scale down the track from Best Paper Models.

As a thought for future use of these little gems....put bench seats on the ore cars and a cutout in the top of the engine cab, and this mini could be nicely plunked down into an amusement park on an HO layout as a train ride.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:33 PM

Another one done. It compares well with its big brother.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:35 PM

Ooops .... pics.

Prudenzio Mini Choo-Choos-13.jpgPrudenzio Mini Choo-Choos-14.jpgPrudenzio Mini Choo-Choos-15.jpg
Old 07-03-2011, 06:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
Darwin, there's a free set of track available at Fanatyk Kartonwe, if memory serves correctly.
They are scaled at 1:43, I think, but should be easily rescalable.

They are free to download.

Congratulations on a very finely built engine, I've enjoyed seeing it take form.

Kind and Respectful Regards, Uyraell.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:14 PM

Thanks for the comments, guys. I have the track from both of the sites that have been mentioned. The track from Best Paper Models looks as if it can be easily used, once I do some photoshopping. And, of course, every engine needs something to drag behind it. Here is a quick build of the little flatcar on Zeo's site. The engine and car are perched on a section of N-gauge flex track. The fit is about perfect...if I had printed directly from Zio's pdf files, I suspect it would be perfect.

Prudenzio Mini Choo-Choos-16.jpg