PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Zio Prudenzio Contest

Old 07-14-2011, 08:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 469.82 MB
Prudenzio Contest- Agincourt English Archer No 1

This contest seems to have awakened an interest in figures as this will, hopefully be my second entry to the contest.
I have studied the sheet and already found some interesting construction problems. The construction of the longbow gave me a bit of a problem in as much that it consists of three parts, two sides and a front. I abandoned the idea of folding and glueing the two sides together as the front section tapered at each end as well as the mid section.
The way I tackled this was to make the bow with a triangular cross section achieved by tacking the sides to the profile of the front section and bringing the tops together to form the peak of the triangle. Possibly not the best solution and certainly the messiest but I think it worked.

The next problem is the arrows to be placed in the quiver. There are three parts, 46a, b and c that are shown to have two longitudinal fold lines on each part. As this is a three dimensional figure I cannot work out why these parts do not have a printed back side. Oh, by the way, each part is a different length and profile so do not back onto each other. This has got me stumped and would welcome any suggestions on how to overcome this.
Attached Thumbnails
Prudenzio Contest- Agincourt English Archer No 1-english-archer-1-longbow-01.jpg   Prudenzio Contest- Agincourt English Archer No 1-english-archer-1-longbow-02.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-14-2011, 09:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.19 MB
It looks like your technique on the bow worked very well.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Stack 'em?

Malachite, perhaps they are intended to be stacked since all three parts have differing heights to the arrows in the quiver. Three arrows seems a bit 'low on ammo' for an archer...
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Old 07-14-2011, 10:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Parts B & C appear to be mirror images of each other. Perhaps they are to be glued back to back to one another and then part A glued on top of B to add some additional depth to the quiver looks like there would be 6 arrows all together.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I believe the 3 parts of the quiver are to be folded on the dashed lines. The parts should partially be rolled so that when glued together along the edges, it will form the quiver with the arrows sticking out the top. I'd color the feathers red on the backside and I think it will work out.
Google Adsense
Old 07-14-2011, 10:37 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
I actually think each of the folds on the arrow parts are valley folds, and then you can glue each outer third back to back with the next section's outer third. You'll end up with a shape like this looking from the top:

__||
_./_\
.//._\\

It looks like when you do that, the arrows match up to one another... the left side of 46c to the backside of the right side of 46a, then 46b fits between the two parts.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds

Last edited by cMags; 07-14-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Could be. I haven't actually started this one, though I was thinking of downloading it. With this build thread going on, I may just do it
Old 07-18-2011, 08:07 AM

Arrows

Guys
Thank you for all the suggestions. I think that I have the solution as shown in the photos. What I have done is to fold each piece in a "U" i.e. peak folding and colouring in the back. When bunched together the effect is quite good as can be seen once in the quiver.
Attached Thumbnails
Prudenzio Contest- Agincourt English Archer No 1-arrows-01.jpg   Prudenzio Contest- Agincourt English Archer No 1-arrows-02.jpg   Prudenzio Contest- Agincourt English Archer No 1-quiver-01.jpg   Prudenzio Contest- Agincourt English Archer No 1-quiver-02.jpg   Prudenzio Contest- Agincourt English Archer No 1-quiver-03.jpg  

Old 07-18-2011, 08:19 AM

Main Body and Head

The rest of the body construction is pretty straight forword and needs no further discussion. However, the arrow about to be loaded as cut from the sheet is a very flimsy object and easily distorted. If I could find a suitable, thin piece of material I would make this arrow a lot more sturdier. So for the moment it is staying as provided by the kit. Also worth noting that some of the limbs are not an ideal fit to the torso and will need some touch up paint to hide the poor fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Prudenzio Contest- Agincourt English Archer No 1-torso.jpg   Prudenzio Contest- Agincourt English Archer No 1-body-01.jpg   Prudenzio Contest- Agincourt English Archer No 1-body-02.jpg   Prudenzio Contest- Agincourt English Archer No 1-head.jpg  
Old 07-18-2011, 08:25 AM

Completed English Archer #1

Finished final assembly of this archer this morning and decided to enter it as it stands with no modified arrow or touch up paint. Definitely lessons learned from this one and if time permits I will attempt one more figure before returning to my beloved Formula 1 cars and aircraft.
Attached Thumbnails
Prudenzio Contest- Agincourt English Archer No 1-finished-archer-01.jpg   Prudenzio Contest- Agincourt English Archer No 1-finished-archer-02.jpg   Prudenzio Contest- Agincourt English Archer No 1-finished-archer-03.jpg  
Google Adsense