PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 06-24-2008, 04:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Beautiful. So far this year, all we have had in the back garden have been cabbage butterflies.

Don
Old 06-24-2008, 06:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Don, I don't usually come in contact with this one, but found a caterpillar a couple years ago, and in a couple days it pupated then later out came a cerissy, the beauty of them up close is not really done justice in the photo, quite spectacular for a moth, although the silk moths even more so. Since only active at night, not really seen much. My Claude is coming along so nicely it looks like it's my next project, Don, I'll post a pic when you can tell what the heck it is....my methods are indeed odd in this age of cad...

Last edited by birder; 06-24-2008 at 06:02 AM. Reason: oops
Old 07-06-2008, 10:50 PM

This has been an amazing time of year for moths, yesterday a specimen of robin moth genus of fabulous silk moths was trapped in the same web the cerissy sphinx was in! I have seen them only a few times, and this one wasn't in perfect shape, but could still flutter about, so released it after photos, same genus as the wonderful eastern Cecropia moth although our local western variety
Attached Thumbnails
leps-cropmoth.jpg   leps-img_1748.jpg  
Old 07-07-2008, 05:41 AM

Thanks for these photos, Glen.

I've only ever seen one Cecropia (and wouldn't have recognized it if I hadn't been with a couple of birder friends more knowledgeable than I about leps), at Cape May, New Jersey at the Meadow.

Don
Old 07-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Nice pics - very pretty moth.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:48 PM

I'm glad you guys enjoy these, the only connection with modeling being the desire to make models of these leps, (myself and Ashrunner) the wings of course are easy, but some work involved to do the animal, thes moths really are surprisingly large.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:57 PM

This lep is a Sara orange tip, a bit overdue but still fine tuning parts of all the leps I have....
Old 06-04-2009, 05:52 PM

Nice, Glen! I'm glad to see this thread revived. As was the case when I posted last year, so far nothing but white cabbage butterflies in our garden, but with the butterfly bushes about to bloom, I hope we will see a greater variety soon.

However, I gather that our white cabbage butterflies, and the pretty yellow and orange sulphurs that should start showing up soon, are related to your West Coast Sara orange tips (all being a form of Pieridae?).

Don
Old 06-04-2009, 07:15 PM

Yes Don! My book put the whites, sulfurs, marbles and orangetips in the same family (Butterflies through Binoculars the West). They all do have similar overall shape and flight, too, although Ash will be more knowlegable on this. Some very delicate patterns on the Whites, our Pine white is pretty as are the sulfurs.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:08 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by birder View Post
This lep is a Sara orange tip, a bit overdue but still fine tuning parts of all the leps I have....
Birder

That particular butterfly has been my nemesis for more than four years. Every Spring, I wander the off-trail areas of the Dry Canyon here, attempting to find one of these beauties in at least a good photographic pose. But no...they fly by me like I'm some sort of massive butterfly eating machine, when all I want to do is use my Canon on them. One of these Springs...hehehe.

Nice representation of the orangetip. 8v)

I recently was wandering a new area for me and noticed a white of some type flying around. But there was something about its flight style that caught my eye...it was different from anything I had seen up to that time. So I wandered over to it, sure enough, it was a nice species for me...a Pearly Marble. You can see the photo here. I have a number of books on leps, but the one I use the most is Butterflies Through Binoculars, West Edition.

Last edited by Ashrunner; 06-05-2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Senior moment while typing
Google Adsense