PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 03-27-2013, 05:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
I'm guessing it isn't 60F outside ...
I dunno, I ain't goin' out there. Thermometer on the window says -8 .
Old 03-27-2013, 05:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Yep John I think something's up with your printer, colors are off. took some pics outside in the sun trying to show true color mine came out. Where did you get the Empire State building ?That's cool love King Kong....Rich

THE BIRDS (all things bird model related!)-100_3486.jpgTHE BIRDS (all things bird model related!)-100_3485.jpg
Old 03-27-2013, 05:27 PM

Oh and it was 73F today....I can laugh now, but in the summer when it's 110F here it's your turn to laugh........Rich
Old 03-27-2013, 05:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
58F here which got most of the snow cover gone. Only about a quarter of my yard still has snow. It'll be gone by bedtime.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
Those little postcard models came out pretty good. I bet they were relaxing after working on the eagle.
They were among several that I just couldn't resist in that Flikr set. Yep, I waded through all 200+ of them, but I think I only DL about ten. Those Build-a-city sets looked tempting, but having never been to any of the cities available I didn't bother. Paris ... My car and I got off a train from Spain there once and drove round the 'Periferique' looking for a road towards England. The P road is mostly in a sunken trench, so I didn't even get to see the Eiffel Tower from a distance.

Johnny.
Google Adsense
Old 03-27-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richkat View Post
Where did you get the Empire State building ?That's cool love King Kong....Rich
They are among the Flikr postcards mentioned in this post ...
postcard models in flikr

But the mods have removed the link now.

Johnny.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:09 PM

In retrospect ... looking again at the instructions page 8 ... It would appear that the extra 'stabilizing piece' goes inside the box structure of the wing connectors. Not stuck on the outside as I did. It might be a good idea to stick this stabilizing piece to a few layers of stout card before inserting it. That should strengthen the connectors somewhat.

Meantime, I have filled them up by injecting some 'Hard-as-Nails' (a mastic glue) into them. It's taking it's time setting, so I've made a few pin holes to let some air in to set it off. I'll see how it turns out tomorrow, but if it's a failure I'll print off a new pair and try the internal stout card idea above.

Johnny.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:49 PM

Johnny where did you get that little owl you posted the pic of on the first page of this thread?......Rich
Old 03-28-2013, 12:45 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Coming along nicely. I too like the little postcard models!
Old 03-29-2013, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richkat View Post
Johnny where did you get that little owl you posted the pic of on the first page of this thread?......Rich
Sorry Rich, the Barn Owl is on an obscure Japanese blogspot. I'm away from home at the moment, and the bookmark for it isn't listed on my laptop. I'll be back home in a day or so, but meantime Doug may be able to give you it. You do need access to the blog for the build instructions, although Doug may have compiled them off-line.

Eagle wise I'm at the stage where I now have a complete left wing and have been trying out the connections. Filling the wing connectors with 'Hard-as-nails' was fairly successful. They are now hard and solid, but have sort of contracted inwards. Not good looking, but they don't show and they work well.

However ... having tried all 4 positions ... and even the other 4 positions obtainable by using the 'left' connector in the 'right' socket ... I'm not really happy with any of the positions. I just cannot get the wing root parts to blend in neatly, and in trying I have badly torn one of them.

Point to note ... as I thought back in an earlier post, glueing the back feather parts into place before the wings were aailable, was NOT a good idea. I have had to delicately persuade them to come away again with a scalpel. I'm more or less resolved that Richkat's straight bar wing connection is gonna be the best solution for an 'in flight' pose, but even then I really need both wings in position before the wing root cover parts are fitted.

I will continue to make up the second wing and complete the model, but now very much as a practice exercise, before another complete build is made. This build has the following unresolved problems, so far, ...

a. The print resolution quality of the body parts is terrible.

b. One of the wing root covers is badly torn, and both need repositioning to get a smooth join to the neck. It reall is vital to make up and fit the wings before the wing root and back parts are fitted.

c. The legs (fitted as per instructions and markings) are so poorly aligned that the feet can only be fitted by interlocking the toes. The feet really do need to be fitted to the legs BEFORE they are attached to the body.

I'll be back home soon, but complete with three Grandchildren (Who will undoubtedly require much web access) over Easter, so normal service may not be resumed for a while longer.

Appologies for the spellings ... don't seem to have any form of spellchecker on this laptop.

Keep on snippin'

Johnny.

Last edited by JohnM; 03-29-2013 at 04:56 AM.
Google Adsense