PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 08-30-2017, 02:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Congratulations, Mio for a well-deserved award, and to Johnny for getting the eagle done and done well
Old 08-31-2017, 10:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB

And another one. Stella's Sea Eagle. Having sussed out the assembly method on the Bald Eagle, this one was finished in a day. Again, it could well look better enlarged to an A3 print size. Actually, if the parts were rearranged on the page, they would comfortably fit onto a single A4 as there is much wasted space on the original. The print quality is good so the original could be enlarged quite considerably, but I'm not sure if it would go to life-size without going blocky.

Perhaps one day I'll have a play with it, but meantime my 'Waiting to build' pile has got enormous over the last two years. I'll have to try to catch up a bit.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Looks good.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:25 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Very nice John!
Old 09-01-2017, 10:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
It could be arranged to fit on a single page? Looks very good for being that small
Old 09-01-2017, 01:48 PM

Thank'ee kindly Gents.They're not so good on close scrutiny, but I'm doin' me best. My famous 'Not quite focused' camera helps of course. although I have noticed that my pictures look sharper in the PM Gallery than they do in the thread, so I guess they are being zipped a bit to fit?? I'm working on the Peacock next, but I think it'll take a day or two to complete.

Something I've often noticed with Canon models is the large amount of wasted space in their layouts. I guess they must sell paper as well as ink. On the instruction pages they introduce grey/blue coloured backgrounds that can make the picture details harder to see, but of course it uses more ink, so I guess it's deliberate.

Talkin' about ink ... I have replaced the empty initial sample tanks on my Canon printer with JetTec refurbished ones. Oh yes, it knows alright. The print quality is fine, but every 'Print' command is met with an 'Empty Ink cartridge' pop up. Simply clicking the X gets rid of it though, and the print operation continues OK.

Now I know that the JetTec ink flows through OK, the next step is to dissect the empty cartridges to find out where to drill holes for refilling them. I have already sourced bulk JetTec ink supplies that I use to refill my Brother A3 printer. I bought an IRIS tank unit to go with the Brother, but it's Carts being so quick and easy to refill by hypo, I've never bothered to fit it. Perhaps dissection will reveal a way to fit it to the Canon printer, but it will mean a bit of surgery to get the pipes inside. Hardly worth the bother on a £39 printer though. Oh, yes ... A set of Pukka Canon XL cartridges do cost substantially more than the printer did, but the JetTec refills are 1/4 the price of Canon ones, and even JetTec 250ml bottles of ink are still cheaper than Canon carts.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:19 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
What is the quality of the printer like? Up to what paper thickness John?
Old 09-02-2017, 08:17 AM

It's a cheap Canon MG2450 Kevin. They were offered all over the place early Summer, mostly under £50, but I got mine from Morgan Computers for £39.

The print quality seems good to me, but I've not really given it much of a test yet. Just a few photocopies of knitting patterns out of magazines for the Mrs, and a long run of all the animals offered in Canon's 'My Image Garden'. There's over 60 of them, mostly 3 or 4 pages each, so the initial issue cartridges ran out before I got them all, but barring the 'Empty ink' flag pop up, the JetTec refills seem to be working just as well as the Canon Pixma inks did.

There's no pretence of it being a 'Photo Quality' printer though. There's only one three colour cart plus a Black one for mono or text only. The A4 size scanner is very easy to use as a photocopier even if the PC is closed down. Just switch on then select colour or mono and you get your printed copy in around 30 secs. It will also copy to file of course, but you need the PC running for that.

Canon's 'My Image Garden' is very well protected. You just ain't gonna get in there without a Pixma Printer hooked up. I first installed it onto my main PC to check it out. Everything worked fine, so I then re-installed it onto the secondary PC out in the conservatory, where it's doing a stirling job. It does not have WiFi or an ethernet socket though, so the two PCs cannot share it via the router. It demands it's own PC. Although all the Canon software is still installed on my main PC, it knows the printer is not plugged into it and will not allow any access to the Canon website.

For me it has been a worthwhile purchase, giving me a handy scanner and printer next to the conservatory PC. and it also acts as an ever ready scanner for the Mrs. It is designed to be permanently plugged in. It goes into stand by if not used for more than a minute, but just a prod on the Start button will wake it up for a photo copy, or any prompt from the PC will also wake it.

BIG downside though is the cost of the ink .... two pukka Canon XL carts cost well over £50 a time, but JetTec refills are only 1/4 that. I'll let y'all know how I get on with home refilling.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:20 AM

Anyone that wants to see the earlier Photobucket pictures I've posted in this thread go here Browser add-ons to fix the Photobucket issue to get a fix for your browser. It works like magic, but it needs to be installed on YOUR browser to work.

Not only my pictures will come back ... anyone elses that have the Photobucket block on them will also be unblocked. I have no idea how, or for how long this fix will work. All I know is that it does work for now. It may not work if the poster has removed the pics from their photobucket account though. I'm lazy and although I have downloaded them all to the safety of my back up drives, I didn't go on the full sulk and close my account. I guess I'm still hoping that they may yet relent, or at least lower the hosting charges.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:40 AM

And back to the birds ... I managed to finish the peacock ...

Again, tweezers and forceps very much required to build this in A4 size. It's 5" tall. I am building from cheap 80gsm copy paper though, which is easily crushed or deformed in my de-sensitised fingers. I'd probably go for a 150gsm card for a bigger A3 print.