PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 04-08-2013, 06:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Papercraft Museum was my best friend when I started in this hobby. I would look for things of interest with low numbers of pages and low numbers of parts. I quickly learned that many models need more parts than the ones I picked out. Trying to coerce a one-part model into the 3D shape that you want is sometimes much more difficult than a 5-, 10- or 20-part model. I also wish they didn't have a pokemon fetish...
Old 04-09-2013, 06:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Does anyone know of a Red Tail Hawk model, my wife loves to ride in the car a spot them ( we have a bunch in this area) I would love to build her one.....Rich
Old 04-10-2013, 04:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
They never stayed still enough, or even got close enough for me to get a photo, but Yesterday I was entertained for over two hours by a pair of ospreys.

The first one I saw was cruising in a circle at about 150 ft. Using my binos on full zoom and my trusty Collins Gem Bird spotters guide to ID it, I concluded that it couldn't be anything else but an osprey.

Suddenly I lost it (not hard on full x 25 zoom), but soon realized that it had dived to strike, and I found it grounded in the meadow about 500 yds away. I couldn't make out what it had caught, but whatever it was, it was only mouse size at most. Suddenly, another big bird pounced on it. Knocking the Osprey for six, stole the prey, and headed skyward.

After quite a pause, the 1st bird recovered it's wits and chased after it. This 1st bird was substantially bigger than the 2nd one, but when it caught up, it made no attempt to attack. It just started putting on a fantastic aerobatic dance display, which the 2nd bird soon joined in with.

They entertained me with these aerobatics for quite some time, and I got the feeling that the mouse had been completely forgotten. Methinks maybe they had something else on their minds.

The aerobatic display gradually got further away though, and I eventually lost sight of them over the forest a mile or so further up the valley. I'm not really a voyeur, but I feel really privileged to have witnessed this, and I hope they choose our valley to settle down in so I can see more of them.

I wonder if suspending my paper one between the flagpoles would attract them nearer? The weather's still a bit too rough to try that out though.

Johnny.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:52 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
You should try the suspension trick. It would be interesting to see if it works.

When birding I sometimes use a bird call to attract their attention, but this must never be overdone as it stresses the birds.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:21 PM

Well, this thread has been busy while I was away. A gun and a couple of swords later the birds called to me again ...

OK, the pink legged Tux dates from a while back when the printer was going all psychedelic, but the Duck was proving such a '*!@ to make up, I needed something simple to build alongside it to occupy my fingers while waiting for tabs to stick fast, so another proper colored Tux suited the bill.

Donald was obviously unfolded in Pepakura, but I only had a couple of .jpg files, with no instructions. Not even numbered parts to give a clue as to build order. At least with a .pdo file you can see where the bits go, and get a clue as to the shape they need to be warped into, but after a frustrating three days of much experimental fitting, gluing one tab at a time, and very slow progress, I'm quite pleased with the end result, even if a lot of the glue stains are covered with poster paint.

Never again will I be working on white card at the same time as edge coloring the black parts of another model. You just don't notice the ink on your fingers until it's too late.

I keep on seriously considering the full size Osprey next. Have you started yours yet Kev?

Keep on snippin'

Johnny.
Google Adsense
Old 04-22-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richkat View Post
Does anyone know of a Red Tail Hawk model, my wife loves to ride in the car a spot them ( we have a bunch in this area) I would love to build her one.....Rich
Ummm? It's not paper, and I didn't look for a price, but this is the only model I've found of a Chickenhawk ...

Hawk-weathervane-Red-Tailed-Hawk-Weather-Vane

Looks good though,

Johnny

PS: I found a paper one, but I don't think this is quite what you're lookin' for.

Red Tailed Hawk | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 04-23-2013, 01:08 PM
Eternal Member

Hi Johnny!

Was very tempted to start the one you sent! But thought I still needed to get my hand in.

So, I commenced the Merlin. And then the fire. And then the whole house and everything (including the Merlin) covered in fine white powder from the fire extinguisher.

So, modeling had to stop (and has stayed stopped) while we continue to clean.

Once I can get my head around it I will then carry on with the Merlin AND start my plastic model.

Maybe another quick paper build to start off with. Like the Empire State building you did!

Did you post any threads on your other recent builds?
Old 04-23-2013, 01:09 PM
Eternal Member

PS like the latest motley crew you made!
Old 04-23-2013, 02:13 PM

I made two Empire State Buildings Kev. Which one caught yer fancy?

The bigger one is a simple cartoon build which mainly serves as a base for Kong. The smaller one is a more accurate scale model. On the roof, just under the airship's nose, there is an accurately scaled King Kong figure, but you'll have to zoom right in to see him. Believe it or not, the kit also included some scale bi-planes too, but I couldn't figure out how to mount them. Couldn't find a strong enough magnifying glass to cut them out either.

Johnny.

PS: No complaints about going off subject please ... There IS a bird in the picture ... Her name is Fay Wray.

Last edited by JohnM; 04-23-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:34 PM

Back on subject ... I though y'all might be interested to see these ...

Our Feathered Friends in Origami - a gallery on Flickr

Now that's a skill I'd like to have, eh?

Johnny.
Google Adsense