PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 05-22-2013, 02:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Prehistoric "Birds"

I've downloaded and built several Pterosaur/Flying Reptile card models over the years and I am surprised how they keep showing up.

I am now looking for a card model of the first feathered bird, the Archaeopteryx. I've found a model on Asian site but can't figure out if it is a free download, or a pay for model. I can't even figure out the language!!

This is a reconstruction of what it is guesstemated what the 'bird' looked like.
THE BIRDS (all things bird model related!)-focus_archaeopteryx-600.jpgclick on image

It was about the size of a modern day Crow.

Any suggestions, links, leads would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Swampfox
Old 05-22-2013, 02:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Swampfox,

Click on the URL in your browser's search window so that it highlights the URL of the Asian website the item is on. Right click on it and choose copy.

Then paste it in a post here so that we can see the website.

Google chrome can be set up to translate it. Usually good enough to find the download links if they are there.

Post the URL here anyway. I'm interested in getting the model too.

Johnny.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceagent-9 View Post
here is my first attempt at a bird model. I only wish that you will assist me into developing this into a good 3-d model.
thank you.
jim
Oh that I had the skills required Jim. I've been quite confused with every 3D development app that I've ever tried, but there's a few excellent designers around on this forum that I enjoy watching from the side. They seem to be mainly into Sci-fi, AFVs, or aircraft though. I've not noticed any of them delving into Mother Nature's creations yet.

You've made a good start though. All the required info is there (and I've nicked it).

Johnny
Old 05-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
haha good! that's what I wanted!
I guess I will try to make the body, in sections, maybe with feathers cutting over the edges, and then just simple sectioned feet and legs......a wedge head with a lid over the eyes, added on top, I guess. try to make it thick like gary does on his planes with inside supports.....it will be a while until I know what to do.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:38 PM

Jim,

A suggestion ... download a few of the FREE bird models that are around and see how they are put together. Better still ... make a few of them in order to really get the 'Feel' of them. There's a lot too them, and much of the realism literally has to be stroked into shape. They are not quite built feather by feather, but there's usually quite a few individual ones used. I'd recommend something like the Canon 'Bald Eagle'. It's a BIG model that has all the little nuances built in. There are simpler models around on the Yamaha, and Epson sites, but if you really want to get into designing your own, The Canon birds are among the best available FREE. Nothing comes close to the pre-computer age (1970s), hand drawn, beauties by Malcolm Topp though. Still available for sale to this day, but they are not cheap.

When you've caressed a few into existence, you'll really get to love the little critters, and maybe your monster fascination will get muted. Well, maybe not ( I still love Dragons ), but at least you'll get a better feel for the biological construction of them, an will be better able to bring your Terror Birds into existence.

Johnny.
Google Adsense
Old 05-22-2013, 04:12 PM
Banned

cannon birds first-carress into form, got it. thanks!
Old 05-22-2013, 04:16 PM
Banned

got the shoebill crane, just what I was looking for! thanx!
also the jag xke.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:17 PM

This is a BIRD thread ... Mention of Jaguars is not permitted. 'specially when talkin' to me ... I sold this last year ... (sob)

Johnny.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:28 PM
Banned

nice bird!
Old 05-24-2013, 05:21 PM

Page 1 of the Canon Whooper Swans completed. Now there's two disembodied heads sitting on the table alongside the Scallywags.

So far they are looking quite realistic. Plenty of peaks and seams to burnish, file, and fill though. I'll post a pic when I've finished pimping them. Being predominately white figures, they will have to be painted when finished anyway. These do take a bit of stroking into shape, and I don't think I've had clean fingers since I climbed out of me pram.

The kit gives two different head options for the swan, and they dry fit to the neck allowing rotation. So several birds can be built in many different poses.

There's also an accompanying cygnet, which also has a rotatable head so several different poses can be achieved.

Keep on snippin'

Johnny.
Google Adsense