PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 12-01-2013, 03:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
I'd love to do the job on it too Mike, but it's a bit expensive for this time of year, and shipping it in from USA knocks the price way up.

I just picked this up from eBay for £3. Dunno how good they are though, as it hasn't arrived yet ... PAPER ART 3D | eBay

Johnny.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
lol - that's funny. I ask for a model and you tell me that I sold you that model nearly twenty years ago

I'll have to check my files where we bought those Birds in Flight back then - I actually don't remember that anymore.

moduni was one of the brands of Scheuer & Strüver as HMV for example as well. moduni stood for any kind of modelling and was sold to a Company near Frankfurt. They still work with the brand but the concept is very different to what we did until 2009 with it. Unfortunately they stopped selling papermodels. Sorry for the lecture but it still makes me sad what became of that once so powerful brand.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 59.42 MB
Hallo Benjamin,

Thank you for the background information, and I had not made the connection. We have probably actually spoken to each other briefly over the phone, many years ago, about sorting out an order payment.

I got a lot of good stuff from your company over the years, but it tailed off about ten years ago, after I had spent all the Deutschmarks (later Euros) that I had earned during my time in Germany.

I remember that, at the time I bought the Kookaburra, you also carried the Galah, but I never got round to ordering it - too many other temptations in your catalogue! I will look forward to seeing if you can source them again, as I still have an itch to complete the set.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-02-2013, 06:02 AM

Hi Mike,

now as you say it - I think I remember talking to you. But that has been around 97/98 or something, right? No worries about not making the connection. I'd say it's rather difficult with me taking my wife's name and everything.

I had a look into the "Birds in flight" It seems that we only got them once. Seems to me as if this was in 1998 and we couldn't order for a second time. That's so long ago that I don't have anything else on file. Was a time when disk space mattered. If I'm not mistaken they made 3 models - the third one was a reptile.

I still can't believe that I forgot these models.

Cheers, Ben
Old 12-02-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Following an HMV link from one of Benjamin Fentens posts I stumbled upon these ...
Very interesting site, I suppose they ship to Italy so I wil try very soon.
Thank's for the link.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatsudoki View Post
And here is a mysterious-looking Amazon link, which is new since last night Mike
I just picked up on your edit Mike.That could possibly have resulted from my searching Amazon (UK & USA) for them last night. At least now they've picked up on it, if there's any on offer around they may find them.

Your picture of the Kookaburra kit shows it unbuilt. Old picture ... or is it still flatpacked?

Next question ... do you have a scanner?

Best £160 I ever spent was on an A3 scanner/printer.

Johnny
Old 12-02-2013, 08:41 PM

Hi Johnny,

I have been rooting around eBay for a while looking for these, so maybe they have a way to flag such searches to booksellers, to trigger them to search their stock. The day before yesterday, the item was listed as Unavailable, with no known Expected Availability. The new listing doesn't seem to say which of the set is for sale, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Your picture of the Kookaburra kit shows it unbuilt. Old picture ... or is it still flatpacked?
The picture was taken shortly before I posted it here Nearly all the stuff that I bought from Benjamin (and before, and since) is still filed away on the "Shelf of Doom", as they say in the plastic model world

When I first noticed this thread, I dusted off this model, vainly hoping to find the time to build and show it. I do have a scanner, and one of the excuses I made to myself whilst not building it, was that the feather pattern makes it very difficult to scan - whatever I tried, I got unsightly yellow interference fringes. I even got one of my colleagues to do something called Gamma Correction but to no good effect.

In the end, I decided to stop prevaricating, and scan directly to the printer - at least I could build it, even if it came out discoloured. The print that I have managed is okay, but duller than the original and with less of a sheen.

And that was as far as I got! Work intervened several weeks ago, and just started to settle down last week, when the Kookaburra was mentioned, so I cleared the table for that snap, then had to put it away again to make space for the tax papers.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-03-2013, 04:19 AM

Hallo Ben,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Fentens View Post
But that has been around 97/98 or something, right?
Yes, that would be about right. I moved apartments in mid 1997, and it was after then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Fentens View Post
If I'm not mistaken they made 3 models - the third one was a reptile.
I remember you carried the Galah and the Kookaburra, but not the Lorikeets, which I only heard of recently. There was a fourth, which I remember coming across but then losing the link (to a shop in Tasmania, it hadn't been updated since about 2005), which was not a bird - I think you are right, it was some sort of Australian reptile.

Here is another link with information about the Kookaburra, if it helps. Google searches of both the publisher and the author throw up likely-looking hits, which is how I have found these details so far.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-03-2013, 12:05 PM

And back to the current builds ...

No-one else seems to have done Johan's Nuthatch yet, so I thought I'd start there ...

Frustratingly, a toothpick wasn't long enough to do the right leg, and my kebab sticks were too wide. So I straightened out one of my giant paper clips and used that. This worked a treat, but being shiny surfaced they pulled out easily. So I gave the legs a good soak in super=glue to harden them up, and using the wires to position them, super-glued them in place ... Then removed the wires. It worked out great. The legs are now very sturdy and were then super-glued onto the log.

Having very little weight now, It's now just stuck on the wall with a sticky tab.

Working on the Canon Japanese Cranes next.

Keep on snippin' ... Johnny.

Working on the Canon Japanese Cranes next.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:09 PM

Swing yer partner and doh-see-doh ...

A fairly straightforward build. Main comment being it's way too small (5" Tall) to do much pimping on the neck seams. It may be possible to improve them a bit if they were double sized ... I have the technology, but am not moved to do so on this one.

Keep on snippin' ... Johnny.