PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 03-25-2013, 03:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by richkat View Post
My eagle is held up with some monofilament fishing line, a loop around the neck and one around the tail. One line with slip loop on each end.....Rich
Ah ... a two loop harness. Same as my Osprey, and as Canon recommend, but I guess your's is fairly tight into the body and doesn't show from below. I now have some light mono-filament fishing line to re-rig my cotton suspensions with.

Johnny.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Perhaps the head is there to stare at you impatiently until the rest of the bird is finished. A bit of motivation.

I am sometimes tempted to temporarily mount the various animal heads to paper plaques for a trophy room type display.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
I am sometimes tempted to temporarily mount the various animal heads to paper plaques for a trophy room type display.
I've often been tempted to do that as well Doug, They'd certainly be easier to display that way, but with birds it is their magnificent wings that really are the showpiece.

All through this build I've been thinking that the artist didn't make a lot of effort on the body textures, but having just looked back at Richkat's pictures in post #14, I can see that it's my printer that has incorrectly registered the colours and just appears a muddy brown all over. looking at it in strong light, the diamond like texture IS there but with very little definition. Should I screw it up, re-print and start again? 38 pages ... perhaps not. I'll keep going until the end now and judge it again when finished.

I'm getting a bit burned out on birds for now though ... I feel a gun coming on ... Tommy gun, SA-80, or maybe the Barrett. I've been sitting on them for too long now, and I've got the wall space reserved.

Johnny.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Are we going hunting paper birds with paper guns?.......Rich
Old 03-25-2013, 05:42 PM

Trained killer, but big ol' softy that I am, I don't think I could pull a trigger on any bird. They are such beautiful creatures. Mind you, them pesky Jackdaws is testing me patience, and the cattypult is likely to be comin' out of retirement soon.

Johnny.
Google Adsense
Old 03-25-2013, 06:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Me too...love birds, ok maybe not Grackles. I live in an apartment and we have dove living all over the place, even have a pair nesting on my patio.
We also have a Peregrine falcon living here,and yes we do find piles of feathers now and then. The pics I have got of him are not to good (he's camera shy) but I keep trying.......Rich

THE BIRDS (all things bird model related!)-100_3335.jpgTHE BIRDS (all things bird model related!)-100_3455.jpg
Old 03-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Read a stunning book on a peregrine (true book) - very old book.

"The Perigrine" by J A Baker. Amazon. A classic.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:27 PM

I took a day off from the eagle and made a couple of simple buildings instead ...

Well there's a bird on one of them ... I think her name is Fay Wray.

And if Tino should peek in here ... No, not for one second did I consider cutting out all those little triangles on the Eiffel Tower.

OK, later in the day I did capitulate, and I made some feet ...

Yes, that is snow out there ... it's supposed to be Spring, ennit?

Johnny.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:45 PM

As you can see from that last photo, I overlook open meadows, It's not rare to see several hawks hunting out there, but they never come very close to the houses or gardens, so pictures are not possible without a telephoto lense. I do quite often enjoy watching them through binos though.

I've seen Falcons, Buzzards, Kestrels, Sparrowhawks, and even the rare Red Kites put in an occasional performance. Watching their aerobatic courting dances in Spring is a real treat to witness.

Page six is now completed ...

Overall, I'm quite disappointed with the colours of this bird. They looked pretty good in Richkat's photos, so I guess it must be my printer that's not so good.

Keep on snippin'

Johnny.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I'm guessing it isn't 60F outside ...

Those little postcard models came out pretty good. I bet they were relaxing after working on the eagle.
Google Adsense