PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 04-11-2016, 03:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
I don't think anyone on this forum has posted a build of the Wilhelmshaven Dodo. This may because it is not, in my opinion, a very good model. The print quality is horrible, extremely pixelated. Fit was fine, although I wasn't too fond of the "zipper" style interlocking tabs. The attachment of foot, leg, and body is not at all sound, and half of the tail fell off while I was trying to glue the beast's legs to the feet (which were already on the base). I don't like painting, so the base is not my proudest moment, but I can't blame that on the kit. But it's an unusual subject and it certainly fits here, so here are the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
THE BIRDS (all things bird model related!)-gedc0837.jpg   THE BIRDS (all things bird model related!)-gedc0838.jpg   THE BIRDS (all things bird model related!)-gedc0839.jpg  
Old 04-11-2016, 05:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
It looks like it has a bit more lifelike potential than this one Ann ..

Is yours available as a download, or is it a pre-printed kit?
Old 04-11-2016, 05:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
I'm not sure how "lifelike" any model of an extinct animal can be Anyhow, this one is a preprinted kit. I bought it from Peter Heesch at the International Paper Modelers Convention a couple of years ago. I started it as stress / comic relief, in between sessions on a very difficult model that was kicking my butt. Then I stalled on the base for a while, and just got around to finishing it today. I wanted to take it easy, so I didn't bother with edge coloring -- it's not a great build, but it has the appealingly stupid look that a Dodo ought to have. Your model is more reminiscent of a cartoon Dodo, as if it had starred in an Alice in Wonderland movie somewhere along the line. Also quite appealing, just a different style.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Funnily enough, I built my Dodo as an 'also run' alongside the Birdmobile Merlin. It helps to have something simple to switch to during 'waiting for glue to set' periods during a build requiring more concentration.

I've just had a peek at the .jpg for it, and I guess the cartoon colouring was a result of one of my old printer's psychedelic periods. The actual print should be more grey than blue, but that old six ink Canon had a mind of it's own at times.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I did mine (the same one as John's) when I did something stupid with a new girlfriend. I gave it to her as an apology, telling her it was a self-portrait of me...
Old 04-29-2016, 02:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
.Hello! I'm new on this forum. I love paperbirds art and I see here, in this forum, a lot of beautiful things. I can't post some of my work because , as a beginner,it seems that I can't post links. I don't understand why ! I see this message:
    1. Post denied. New posts are limited by number of URLs it may contain and checked if it doesn't contain forbidden words.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:50 AM

Marius, there are anti-spam protocols in place. After 10 posts, you can post photos and url links. Now that you have one post, you may be able to add photos as attachments using the 'Go Advanced' button.

Looking forward to seeing your work
Old 05-13-2016, 01:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
I remember I saw a common crow lately, but can't seem to locate. Anyone a suggestion?
Old 05-13-2016, 03:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.75 MB
Anybody have a link to a good Bluebird model?
Johan Scherft's as always looks great, but I haven't been able to find anywhere to get that model.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:14 PM

The bluebird is in a pre-printed set called 'Beautiful Paper Birds'. Along with it are a cardinal, a wren, and a goldfinch. I got my set at Barnes and Noble