PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 06-20-2015, 09:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 42.66 MB
1:1 scale bambiraptor( yeah, i'm that crazy)

hello everyone. i am making one hell of a announcement. i weighed my options and decided to do something crazy. not only is it a large model, i'm doing a 1: 1 scale paper model replica of one of my favorite dromaeosaur species. the theropod i'm doing is bambiraptor feinbergi. bambiraptor was a small maniraptoran related to creatures such as dromaeosaurus and deinonychus. it also share close relations to our modern theropods, the birds. it was feathered and is even thought to have been able to fly/ glide for certain distances. i'm basing my model on the holotype, which is described to have been roughly 90 cm or 35 inches in in total length. i'm working off of known material from sed skeleton. but it is important to note that the holotype of bambiraptor( which is also the only specimen, p.s. that is unless the evidence presented quite recently marks sauronornitholestes as a synonymous taxon) is believed to have not been fully grown. so it is likely that bambirapter was larger as it reach maturity

Google Adsense
Old 06-21-2015, 11:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Canon (and me) beat ya too it on the Bambiraptor Frederico, but it will be interesting to see it done in 1:1.

I got the impression that it wasn't a huge beastie, but I'm sure your interpretation will be far superior. It don't seem to have enough feathers to actually fly though. My guess is that he was just seriously thinking about it.

Any where nearer to publishing any of your pterosaurs? There's a gap in my ceiling reserved for them.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Looks to be quite an undertaking.
Any thumperraptors or flowerraptors?
Old 06-21-2015, 01:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Hee hee. I guess, like me, you think they stole the show too, eh Doug?
Likewise Pascal in Frozen, Mulan's wee dragon, and Scratt in Ice Age. The films just wouldn't be right without them.

Last edited by JohnM; 06-21-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:35 PM

yeah, i'm very well aware of cannons bambiraptor model. it's a decent looking model, but it seemed to represent it as looking like an awkward animal imo. it looks very shrink wrapped and although it does have feathers, it is placed out in areas that were not traditional to maniraptorons actual plumage.

i'll be basing it more off of actual skeletal material. such as scott hartmans beautiful skeletal works

Google Adsense
Old 06-21-2015, 08:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Is there a front and/or top version of that drawing?

Um, the bottom one
Old 06-21-2015, 09:48 PM

unfortunately, i have no access to the actual abstract of bambiraptor. but i can do the next best thing. skeletal drawings of velociraptor are very well known and top views of this animal is released to the public. by scaling the size of both creature pelvic girdles to similar lengths, i could get a good interpretation of how thick bambiraptor was. especially considering that i'm also adding a hypothetical external layer of plumage to the body, it's just about impossible to claim that the model is to thick for the creature because the the thickness layer of plumage for this animal is not known

i have the plans drawn out. this is going to be a pretty large model
i went ahead and check if the overall proportions are right. the skull is at the correct length of 125 mm and the total body length is precisely 90 cm in length. note that this would be just the body. i haven't mapped it out yet, but this would not be including the hypothetical layer of plumage. so it might end up longer with the addition of tailfeathers( probably around 120 cm for total body length including them)

i did quite a bit of homework and decided to start the designing and test building process sometime tomorrow or the day after. i feel that this could be the most scientifically accurate dinosaur model i designed yet . pics will be posted til then.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.37 MB
I've PMed you with a link to the original Bambiraptor paper. Tried to post the link here but Im new enough (I guess) that the link was refused by the system. I'll try posting the Google Scholar search results where I found it. It's the second item listed.

https://scholar.google.ca/scholar?hl...1%2C5&as_sdtp=

Bruce
Old 07-30-2015, 06:50 PM

i'm surprised i didn't post this yet. anyway, i would like to thank thagomizor for the link. for now i see that my little prototype head need a few more revisions before i can call this a done deal.