PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 10-12-2015, 06:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Canon Animals

Since the theme of the 2015 International Paper Modelers' Convention in Sterling, Virginia, USA, is "animals," Lil and I have been trying our hand at Canon animal models.

We are still learning our way with these creatures, but are finding them to be much fun to build.

The cat looks a bit grungy and has thin red stripes because it was printed out just as one of the ink cartridges ran out. It was our test shot to figure out how the models go together.

We look forward to finishing the tiger and building more of these to display on our table at the IPMC.

Any hint from veteran Canon creature builders (Anne McCombs, e.g.) will be welcome.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Canon Animals-cannon_animals_151010a.jpg   Canon Animals-cannon_animals_151010b.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-12-2015, 07:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.16 MB
Hi Don,
Looks like you are doing a great job on the Canon animals.
I have built lots of the one page animals myself.
I even did the larger lion too.
I look forward to seeing your Tiger build come together.
These models are really fun to do.
Here are just a few pictures of some I have built.
Hope you enjoy the pictures.
And have a great time at the convention.
Best Regards,
Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Canon Animals-dscn4933-e-mail.jpg   Canon Animals-dscn4937-e-mail.jpg   Canon Animals-dscn4992-e-mail.jpg   Canon Animals-dscn4997-e-mail.jpg   Canon Animals-dscn5001-e-mail.jpg  

Canon Animals-dscn5011-e-mail.jpg   Canon Animals-dscn6243-e-mail.jpg   Canon Animals-dscn6335-e-mail.jpg   Canon Animals-dscn6497-e-mail.jpg   Canon Animals-dscn6520-e-mail.jpg  

Canon Animals-dscn6594-e-mail.jpg  
Old 10-12-2015, 08:18 PM

Thanks for all those images of your own creature builds, Gary. They're all great and help to show what the finished models should look like.

I anticipate a lot of cats being built in the Boose household this week.

The tiger is almost finished. Should be able to show the finished animal soon.

Don
Old 10-13-2015, 03:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Hi Don! Your critters look great. About the only hint I have, learned from someone else here, regards rounding the peaks formed when a wedge-shaped slot is glued to form a cone (e.g., the chest of the chipmunk or bunny). As soon as the glue is set enough to hold, slip a fingertip inside for support, then gently burnish the tip of the cone to blunt it a little. It works best while the paper is still a little damp from the glue. But you probably already knew that.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:21 AM

Hi Anne -

It is a pleasure to hear from you and to get the benefit of your experience.

We have actually been trying to apply that technique, both before and after (and in between). "Before," by burnishing the paper to produce the compound curve prior to gluing. "In between" by burnishing the "darts" (wedge-shaped slots). And "after" as you describe.

I think the issue is simply a matter of practice and finger skills (finger fähigkeiten?). I can't explain this, but our novice burnishing does not yet produce the same results as your experienced burnishing.

I am reminded of the classic comment by Golden Bear. After carefully and lucidly explaining his technique he said, "and then the pieces just came together in my hand."

Or, to paraphrase Arthur C. Clark, "Any sufficiently advanced paper modelling technique is indistinguishable from magic."

Anyway, we hope that by the time we get to Sterling with our menagerie (mostly cats), we will have improved our burnishment skills. Deo volente.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 10-13-2015, 08:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Don,

Yamaha has a nice selection of animals as well. I think I made the zebra years ago and it came out pretty nicely even with my lack of skill.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:38 AM

Tigers and Lions and B-17s, oh my!

The tiger is complete. Image 1 shows the creature with further work having been done, Image 2 shows the tiger with legs and parts of the John Dell B-17C (40-2074 that I hope to complete in time for the U.S. Army War College film showing of Tora! Tora! Tora! on 15 December), Image 3 is the completed Tiger, and Image 4 shows the next big cat as a work-in-progress.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Canon Animals-cannon_animals_151010c.jpg   Canon Animals-cannon_animals_151010c01-b-17c.jpg   Canon Animals-cannon_animals_151010d-tiger.jpg   Canon Animals-cannon_animals_151010e.jpg  
Old 10-25-2015, 12:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.16 MB
Love the Tiger Don.
Great job on this model.
Is the Lion the canon one too?
If so,,,
I did a re-paint on it to make it into a space suit.
Added some gear to it.
Then I put my kitty Tribble into the helmet
like he is taking a walk on Mars.
Here it is for you to see.
Enjoy,
Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Canon Animals-tribble-mars.jpg  
Old 10-25-2015, 12:16 PM

Hi Gary - Thanks for stopping by. Yes, it is the Canon lion. So far, we are only building Canon models, and have enough to keep us busy over the next two weeks until the International Paper Modelers' Convention.

Love the space-cat! Don't let Tribble see The Martian.

Don
Old 10-25-2015, 05:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Hi Don,

Great looking Tiger. The Lion I've printed out before to do one day. Have built a few of the animals and find they are a lot of fun to build. Look good too when completed.

Fred
Google Adsense