PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 07-21-2016, 11:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Quick update

Well, got back again and with an additional day off, I could spare some time to progress on the goldfinch.

Forgot to mention last time that the wings are reinforced by parts of a small skewer, being crossed inside the body. So the one end reinforces the right wing and the left thigh, and the other way around. The end at the thighs will be where the legs will be attached to. Where the skewer pieces cross each other the end of a thin metal wire can be glued, piercing through the body, to be used as part of the stand.

The head is not that difficult to make but the gluing tabs need to be carefully "fused" together and some paint/marker touch-up is required here. The actual size is like the tip of your thumb. The head appeared to be a bit too small to fit on the body so I had to correct the collar by cutting out a narrow wedge. The beak fits snugly.

Finished the legs but still have to attach them, also finalized the corrections on the tail side. Hope to get everything done by the weekend, just before the holidays.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Johan Scherft's Finch-dscn3917.jpg   Johan Scherft's Finch-dscn3918.jpg   Johan Scherft's Finch-dscn3939.jpg   Johan Scherft's Finch-rscn3943.jpg   Johan Scherft's Finch-rscn3931.jpg  

Johan Scherft's Finch-rscn3932.jpg   Johan Scherft's Finch-dscn3933.jpg   Johan Scherft's Finch-dscn3934.jpg   Johan Scherft's Finch-dscn3935.jpg   Johan Scherft's Finch-dscn3936.jpg  

Johan Scherft's Finch-dscn3937.jpg   Johan Scherft's Finch-dscn3938.jpg  
Old 07-21-2016, 12:27 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Erik, maybe you can help with a problem I came across while building this model for my wife. There are two small what looks like some kind of feather. My problem is I'm not so sure I used them in the correct area. Can you possible help me with this? Thank you very much for any help you can offer. Your bird is very beautiful. Great job. Also, the photos of the feet were a huge help. Thank you. wc
Old 07-21-2016, 08:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Pardon my ignorance ... what holiday is coming up in the Netherlands?

I doubt you are celebrating Pioneer Day (a Utah holiday this weekend)

And thank you for letting us follow along with your build
Old 07-22-2016, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wad Cutter View Post
Erik, maybe you can help with a problem I came across while building this model for my wife. There are two small what looks like some kind of feather. My problem is I'm not so sure I used them in the correct area. Can you possible help me with this? Thank you very much for any help you can offer. Your bird is very beautiful. Great job. Also, the photos of the feet were a huge help. Thank you. wc
Hi Wad Cutter,
Thanks for your response. I think you refer to the feather parts that have to be installed at the inner leading edge, close to the body. In fact these feathers are shaped around the shoulder (upper wing) and armpit (lower wing) and have to be glued at the grey area indicated on the wing. They stick out a bit and both upper and lower side have to be bent outwards, and the degree of bending mostly depends on how good the wing will fit to the body. If all goes well, there shouldn't be any gap left between wing and body. Please read the instructions that come with the model carefully as they explain where to glue the feathers and the aspect of bending.
The color line between the dark upper and whitish lower feathers should be your guide as to where to glue. Only use glue at the grey areas and make sure you leave the outer sides free from glue, so that you maximize the flexibility for bending. Hope this is useful to you. Good luck with your bird!

Erik
Old 07-22-2016, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
Pardon my ignorance ... what holiday is coming up in the Netherlands?

I doubt you are celebrating Pioneer Day (a Utah holiday this weekend)

And thank you for letting us follow along with your build
Hi Vermin King, well no, never heard of Pioneer Day. I was referring to summer vacation, when the whole of Europe migrates from one country to the other .

Cheers,
Erik
Google Adsense
Old 07-22-2016, 07:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Ah, the European Migration ... LOL

Thank you for letting us follow along on the finch. I hope he starts doing more birds 'in flight'
Old 07-23-2016, 12:24 PM

Finished!

Hello everyone,

The small goldfinch is finished. The last items to be glued on the bird were the legs and to enhance the model I reconstructed the inside thighs a little bit, so the skewer stubs are not visible anymore, as well as the openings through the body. Then a thin spray of matt varnish and a touch of clear gloss paint on the eyes for a realistic look.

Finally a small piece of wood for the stand. I spray-painted it green and after drying I sprayed a bit of glue all around and dipped it in that kind of tiny grass flakes that train modellers use. As it was a beautiful summer day today, I couldn't resist taking my little friend to the backyard for a photo shoot to conclude this short thread.

And as you can see our rabbits were very curious but Finchy hastily flew away once Saturnus (the lighter one of them two) attempted to nibble on her right wing. Snuffie kept her cool.

So now she's on display with one of my other recent birds and I can take a few weeks break with an easy mind . So, until then.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Johan Scherft's Finch-img_3052.jpg   Johan Scherft's Finch-img_3053.jpg   Johan Scherft's Finch-img_3057.jpg   Johan Scherft's Finch-img_3058.jpg   Johan Scherft's Finch-img_3060.jpg  

Johan Scherft's Finch-img_3062.jpg   Johan Scherft's Finch-img_3063.jpg   Johan Scherft's Finch-img_3065.jpg   Johan Scherft's Finch-img_3067.jpg   Johan Scherft's Finch-img_3068.jpg  

Johan Scherft's Finch-img_3069.jpg   Johan Scherft's Finch-img_3071.jpg   Johan Scherft's Finch-img_3072.jpg   Johan Scherft's Finch-img_3073.jpg   Johan Scherft's Finch-img_3074.jpg  

Johan Scherft's Finch-img_3075.jpg   Johan Scherft's Finch-img_3077.jpg   Johan Scherft's Finch-img_3080.jpg   Johan Scherft's Finch-img_3081.jpg   Johan Scherft's Finch-dscn3950.jpg  

Old 07-23-2016, 12:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Beautiful and very colorful bird! Enjoy your summer break!

Curt
Old 07-25-2016, 06:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
How cute!!! The goldfinch, the pictures AND the rabbits! Lovely work, Erik
Old 07-30-2016, 04:38 PM

Thanks guys!

Erik
Google Adsense