PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 01-07-2017, 09:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 33.47 MB
Free Model Contest #5 - Johan Scherft - Hummingbird

Here is one of my entries for this contest. Johan Scherft has many free models on his site as well as a good selection of pay downloads. I have built about eight of his birds and have been impressed every time with his fit, ease of build and his devotion to accurately depicting these wonderful birds. You can get his downloads here.

Youtube has many of his instructions for models available. His models usually are self-explanatory but is fun to watch him build them also.

I cut-out and formed the tail feathers and wings. Take the time to line up the edges and the parts will form themselves.

Model was printed twice. Once on 60lb card stock and once on 20lb bond paper. I cut the model out of the cardstock and cut all tabs off. The second sheet I cut out the tabs with a little extra so I may glue them to the underside of the parts. This added step hides the seams for a smooth model.

After I formed and glued parts, the final assembly was only minutes. The beak is formed out of a toothpick and the claws were added.

I like to finish the birds with Tamiya's weathering master sets. The powder is a little bit oily so it sticks to the paper but does not damage the print. It covers any shiny glue spots and makes any seams smooth and disappear.

I am going to scratch build a dahlia to make a interesting base to display this model. As for now, here is my entry. I will post final kit later but it will not qualify for contest.
Google Adsense
Old 01-08-2017, 03:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Beautifully built

Tim
Old 01-08-2017, 06:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
needs a 1000lb bomb slung below the wishbone...
Old 12-03-2017, 09:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Very nice, a strange thought struck after reading the post of CMDRTED. How about a Borg drone version? I know, so far left field it is in Alpha Centuri.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
I have built this little guy multiple times, and have even given them out as little gifts to the women folk at family dinners. They make a beautiful Christmas tree ornament also, as do other birds in the book Jonathan published a couple of years ago. We put up the tree yesterday and it has a hummingbird, nuthatch, bluebird and firecrest.

Beard
Google Adsense