PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 03-21-2018, 09:34 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Doug - too true. I also go the "have I on a moment of mental aberration cut out something I shouldn't have" route as well!

Don - thanks.

And Texman - first prize. Was wondering if anyone would spot that. Decided NO - you proved me wrong!
Old 03-21-2018, 07:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
It looks very good, the textures look great, it will be a great model
Old 03-22-2018, 07:28 AM
Eternal Member

OK – this session covers the rear legs – this also turned out to be an interesting build!

Photo 1 – The parts for the rear legs.

Again, similar to the forelegs legs, just looking at the parts initially I was unclear as to where some of the tabs may go. However, same process – shape and stick what is clear. In this case the centre part and one end.

Photo 2 – The right-hand part glued as per the above.

Photo 3 – The remainder of the attachment points then become clear – the key for carrying on here is to glue the two parts marked with an “X” together to shape the “upper thigh”. After gluing this, the assembly is straightforward.

I then encountered an interesting problem.

As I completed the one leg, it became apparent that a triangular gap was developing, with there being no way to close or prevent it. And no, I had not cut something out in error!

I was also able to confirm the parts were correctly aligned – via the tab and alignment of the individual dinosaur scales. I am also sure it is not a kit error, so it can only have resulted from the way I shaped the leg? Don’t know really!

Photo 5
– This shows the triangular gap. Notice the scales are aligned! It was however easily fixed – quite simply I glued some paper on the inside as can be seen in this photo.

Photo 6 – This shows the leg after I quickly touched up the white triangle with some water colours, and the water colour pencil. Not really visible anymore........

Photo 7 – The two legs finished. They remind me strongly of chicken drumsticks, and are the same size!

Now to stuff them a bit with toilet paper again, and then the next stage will be to attach the legs to the body halves.
Attached Thumbnails
Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d11.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d12.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d14.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d15.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d16.jpg  

Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d17.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d18.jpg  
Old 03-23-2018, 04:54 AM
Eternal Member

This bit was relatively straightforward.

To each half of the body, the legs were attached. For each leg, the best approach is to glue first the large tabs (marked “A” in the kit parts on each leg and then carry on gluing ONLY ONE tab at a time. Let each tab dry before gluing the next.

Because you are able to work from the inside of the body, the gluing process is straightforward. As each tab is stuck, the thighs of the legs slowly form into shape.

Photo 1 – This shows the legs in place on each half.

The next step is to glue the two halves of the body together.

Start by gluing the tab marked “A” on the bottom, but ensure everything is aligned first.

I basically did this by aligning the tab at the neck first, and then flipping the tabs alternatively, aligned the tabs back to “A” tab. I then held the parts together and applied the glue for “A”, holding this together until the tab dried. Each tab can then be glued individually to finish the bottom.

Photo 2 shows the process of gluing the bottom together.

Earlier I mentioned how I also generally flip the tabs on either side of the tab being glued to ensure the parts are aligned – you can see this process being done in the Photo 2 which shows the first tab stuck in place, with the tabs on either side flipped.

I then stuck the tabs on the top to finish off the body.

However, when doing the top section of the body, DO NOT stick the last tab by the neck. This needs to remain unglued so the there is enough room at the neck to insert the tail when gluing it in place at a later stage.

Notice how the body looks even more like a chicken at this stage!
Attached Thumbnails
Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d19.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d20.jpg  
Old 03-23-2018, 05:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 110.61 MB
Looking good! When I first looked at that last picture, my initial reaction was "turkey dinner, gone horribly, horribly wrong!"
Old 03-23-2018, 02:40 PM
Eternal Member

It is exactly chicken-sized, legs and all!

So. no doubting the bird/dinosaur connection!
Old 03-24-2018, 06:54 AM
Eternal Member

Next the tail for a change of pace – something simple!

Photo 1 – This shows the four parts.

Photo 2 – Assembly of the 3 smaller parts is straightforward – two parts are tubes, while the tail tip is a simple cone. This requires a bit of pre-shaping to get the tip right, but is then otherwise easy enough.

The large section of the tail requires a bit more care as the shape is a bent tube. The easiest way to get the shape right is to glue all the INTERNAL tabs (not the edge tabs), and then shape the tail by flexing and careful bending along the long axis. I have started with this process in Photo 2.

Photo 3 – The four completed parts. Note how the large part of the tail has that kink or bend built in when it is completed.

Photo 4 – The completed tail. I started by sliding the tip into the first small tube. When glued this process was then repeated two times to produce the final result.

I then stuffed it full of paper so I could use it to handle the model with once it was attached, without worrying about denting it.
Attached Thumbnails
Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d21.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d22.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d23.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d24.jpg  
Old 03-25-2018, 07:49 AM
Eternal Member

Next up the hands and feet.

These are similar in construction to Johan’s claws in his birds but at a far larger scale. I built the claws in between waiting for tabs to dry on other parts.

Photo 1 – The first 8 pieces are the claws for the hind feet – 4 claws per foot. The last 4 larger pieces are the hands on the forearms – two for each hand that will be stuck back to back.

Photo 2 – These two pieces are the base (ankles) for each of the hind feet. Different shapes as the one ankle is in a flexed position.

Photo 3 – This shows the forearm hands after they have been stuck back to back and then rolled into “cones” - the cones will insert into the forelimbs.

Photo 4
– This shows the part for the hind feet assembled – the first two pieces are the bases (ankles) for the two feet, while the remainder are the claws. On the bases for the feet and the claws you will see there are white numbers – these should match when you stick the claws to the bases of the feet.

There are 4 claws for each foot – three are “toes”, and the other is a “dew” claw on the side of the leg.

Photo 5 – According to the instructions, the centre claw is fitted inside out – it is dropped onto the foot base then pulled through. On the one foot this worked fine, but on the second it didn't, as the claw was too straight to curve around through the hole.

Not a big deal – I merely cut open the base of the foot a bit to allow the claw to be seated.

This photo shows the section I cut open (see arrow), and the offending claw. The claw was then easily glued in place, followed by the flap I had cut.

Photo 6 – This shows the finished feet, along with the two “dew” claws.

At this stage I decided to modify the feet so later, if required, they could accept two skewers to assist in securing the model to a base. I really don’t have any ideas on what I am going to do for a base at this stage – but I do have some photography ideas, and the skewers will serve to secure the dinosaur in both cases if needed.

To make the fittings I simply inserted the skewers into the feet and then stuffed them with toilet paper and dabs of white glue. While the glue was still wet I swiveled the skewers round and round so the tissue dried with preformed holes, but the skewers were still able to be removed.

I wanted them removable so when I was attaching the feet to the body I could stand the dinosaur on a flat surface to get the right posture and angle.

Photo 7 – This shows the two feet with the skewers in place.

These are then going to be put aside for later - after the rest of the model has been finished - as the claws are fragile and this will prevent them being damaged through handling.
Attached Thumbnails
Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d25.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d26.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d26a.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d27.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d28.jpg  

Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d29.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d30.jpg  
Old 03-26-2018, 05:46 AM
Eternal Member

Next the head! Been looking forward to this!

Photo 1 – This shows the head and neck before assembly.

Photo 2 – Start of the head assembly. Gluing sequence is from the nose up the center (as shown here), then the two small side tabs at the bottom, and then the tabs at the side of the center of the head. The two very topmost tabs attach to the frill, which still has to be built.

Photo 3 – Only the two top and bottom tabs left now. The rest of the tabs attach to the frill. Notice how the head has started to take shape as the tabs are glued. A little bit of gentle bending aids the process.

Photo 4 – The tops and bottom tabs of the head have now been stuck, and the part above the eyes “pinched out” to form the eyebrows.

The cut-out frill is shown on the left.

Amazing how that head is shaped from only one sheet of flat paper! Excellent design work from Johan!

Photo 5 – The frill partially formed. The remaining tabs starting with “A” at the left of the frill will attach now to the top of the head. The tabs marked “MF” attached to the right-hand side of the frill as shown.

The frill is then turned inside out after it has been attached fully to the head. See the next photo.

Photo 6 – The finished head showing the frill turned inside out, or pushed into the head – however you want to look at it!

Photos 7 and 8 – Side and front view of the completed head. Notice how “pinching out" the top of the eyes formed the eyebrows
Attached Thumbnails
Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d31.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d32.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d33.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d34.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d35.jpg  

Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d38.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d37.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d36.jpg  
Old 03-26-2018, 05:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
The head came out really nice.
Google Adsense