PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 03-26-2018, 12:39 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
It did!

I was actually surprised at the end result, and as I said from one flat piece of paper!

Not too far to go now...... Always nice as you near the end!
Old 03-27-2018, 03:47 AM
Eternal Member

A quick part of the build. Making the neck and then attaching this and the tail.

Photo 1 – The next part. It's a simple tube.

Photo 2 – The neck made up.

Note - before attaching the neck, the tail has to be inserted through the neck and glued to the body. The top two tabs of the body by the neck, which were left unglued to allow the bulk of the tail to pass through, can now be glued.

If anyone glued these tabs closed by mistake, it will not be a big deal to cut a slit at the top of the body, and then glue it closed using a tab of paper on the inside after inserting the tail. The advantages of working with paper!

Photo 3 – The neck attached. Notice that all the scales line up nicely.

Again this is one of those parts that looks like it will not fit when you hold it to the body, but it does!

The best way to attach the neck is to start with the top two tabs. Let them dry and then do alternate tabs on each, using the tab flipping method described earlier, and again giving them time to dry. This will ensure the neck aligns nicely to the body and the two parts come together nicely.

Photo 4 – This shows the results so far with head and tail on.
Attached Thumbnails
Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d38a.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d38b.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d39.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d40.jpg  
Old 03-27-2018, 07:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
He is a magician as a designer. On the various birds I've done, I think I see errors just looking at the parts, but they magically come together. Some designers count on the modeler to adjust things. Johan doesn't. You just have to follow his plan.

Nice looking varmint
Old 03-27-2018, 09:14 AM
Eternal Member

You are right – I always enjoy making his models and watched the parts "come into shape”!

----------------------------------

Time for the hands and feet now.

Photo 1 – This shows the “hands” in place. Once they are dry I will introduce some curvature into the fingers to make them look more natural.

Photo 2 – One of the hind feet showing the “dew” claw.

Photo 3 – I actually wondered if he would stand on his own, and thought he would if I put some packing under his one foot. So, I rolled up a piece of scrap paper and stuck it on to see if I was right.

Photo 4 – And I was right! He stands on his own – precariously though (still needs to be secured to a stand).

Photo 5 – The roll under his foot painted.

Next step is to touch up the model with watercolour, and then respray it overall matt – I think it will look more natural like this - before attaching the head.
Attached Thumbnails
Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d42.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d41.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d44.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d43.jpg   Microceratops/Microceratus - Johan Scherft-d45.jpg  

Old 03-28-2018, 12:36 PM
Eternal Member

Well, I duly touched up with watercolors and then resprayed with the varnish.

Disaster!

When I next looked at it, it had huge white stains all over - the varnish had "blushed". The varnish was well shaken and it was not cold weather (I sprayed outside).

Anyone with ideas why this happens?

I resprayed today with the same varnish and a lot of the "blush" disappeared. I also test sprayed some other paper with no issues.

Anyway, I started a new can of varnish and resprayed again, and all is now well - all the white "blush" has gone.

Phew!

It's now drying.

Tomorrow some pictures of the finished item for those who have been following, and I can then decide on a base.

I also want to take some pics at the weekend of it in a natural setting with its actual food - according to the references it fed a lot on cycads as a staple food, and it so happens I have a genuine cycad (with a whole lot of other suitably prehistoric plants), in the front garden!
Old 03-28-2018, 01:25 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Humidity..

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 03-28-2018, 02:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Whew ... Glad it was fixable
Old 03-28-2018, 02:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Maybe that is why they went extinct. The use of modern preservatives by ancient alien astronauts caused wide spread disasters while they played with the DNA of Earth creatures in their quest to create more advanced biological animals and populate the Earth with entities that would eventually evolve into modern day animals, including hoomans.

Glad to hear it sort of sorted itself out. Can't wait to see the final product.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Seriously, folks (though I like the "ancient astronauts" theory), blush is indeed often caused by humidity, and is more common in hot weather. It occurs with fast-drying coatings; aircraft dope is notoriously prone to blush. It occurs when the surface is abruptly cooled by the evaporation of the solvents, which causes moisture to condense into droplets. Meanwhile, the coating "skins over" trapping the droplets. A mist coat of the coating or a compatible "slow" solvent is the usual cure. With aircraft dope (on full size aircraft) we add "retarder" to slow the drying time of the coating.

Today's science lecture with practical applications!
Old 03-28-2018, 06:34 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Knew the answer but not the facts behind it. I live along the Gulf Coast and humidity is a fact of life here. Yours is the best explanation I've heard yet Anne, and in understandable English too! Thanks!!
Google Adsense