PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 10-09-2018, 02:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.32 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
The bird features a lot in mythology - Indian, Greek and Persian - as well as in the Bible and Koran.
Not to mention a starring role in a Midsomer Murder plot!
Old 10-09-2018, 04:04 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Spot on Christian! And it was also another mythological Hoopoe - a "blue-crested" Hoopoe!!!!
Old 10-09-2018, 09:01 AM
Eternal Member

On to building up the body - the lower part of the body and the tail which attaches into it.

Picture 1 shows the lower body part. This needs to be pre-curved, as it is made into a cone shape.

Picture 2 shows the part made up.

Pictures 3 to 6 then show the tail being made up. The bottom of the tail is flat, while the top is curved, so again this part needs pre-curving. The shape can clearly be seen in the last two photos.

Both of these builds are simple and straightforward.

The next step is to attach these to the middle part of the body which has already been completed and then complete this section.
Attached Thumbnails
Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-bt1.jpg   Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-bt1a.jpg   Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-bt2.jpg   Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-bt3.jpg   Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-bt4.jpg  

Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-bt5.jpg  
Old 10-09-2018, 09:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A good beginning. I appreciate the step-by-step images.

Don
Old 10-09-2018, 12:28 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks, Don!

----------------------------

The last bits for attaching now are the two parts just made - these go onto the middle body.

Picture 1 - This shows the lower body part ready to be attached to the middle section.

Picture 2 - This shows the lower part attached. When joining the two parts be careful to keep them aligned. I started with the bottom tab in the centre (see Picture 3) and then carefully worked around to the top. You could also approach this from the top down if you wanted.

Pictures 3 and 4 - The tail is now glued in place by inserting it from the end. Put glue on the body part - not the tail. Again be careful to check the alignment from the side and top before it dries. At this stage, to also give the body a bit of strength for handling, I stuffed it with toilet paper.

The last step is to now cover up the middle part of the body.

Picture 5 - This shows the part used to do this. Look at this carefully in the photo and you will see the cuts that have to be made on each side. To start, I glued the centre together – already shown glued in this photo.

Picture 6 - This now shows the centre "flap" glued in place. Sticking it at this stage enables the body curves to be shaped with your fingers.

Picture 7 – This part is then attached by easing it over the legs and then attaching the centre tab. Then I glued the sides, again checking the alignment carefully. Lastly, when satisfied with the shape, I glued the 2 small "flaps" on either side.

Picture 8 - The final result, with the centre "flap" glued, but with the two side "flaps" still to be fixed.

The next stage will be the upper part of the body and the wings.
Attached Thumbnails
Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-nb1.jpg   Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-nb2.jpg   Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-nb3.jpg   Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-nb4.jpg   Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-nb5.jpg  

Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-nb6.jpg   Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-nb7.jpg   Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-nb8.jpg  
Old 10-10-2018, 01:59 AM
Eternal Member

Just saw two pictures I should have included in the last post.

Picture 1 - This clearly shows the cuts required on the lower body part.

Picture 2 - Before I started to stick the lower body part, I quickly painted the inside with some watercolour. On the model, this area is barely visible, and the colour does not matter too much as it is in shadow - it just prevents a flash of white.

It is by no means critical, so ignore this step if you wish.
Attached Thumbnails
Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-op1.jpg   Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-op2.jpg  
Old 10-10-2018, 09:26 AM
Eternal Member

Now for the upper part of the body!

Quite an interesting part to make!

Picture 1 – This shows the part cut out. Note the two slits at the bottom that create a “flap”.

Picture 2 – I started by gluing the centre tab at the bottom, and then followed up with the two side tabs. I then got the shape shown in this picture. Note that the centre “flap” not yet been glued.

Picture 3 - The next stage is to join the two back edges - the part then resembles this picture. Before joining the two back edges, take the part and “work” it back and forth to build in the curvature. This must be done if the correct shape is going to be achieved. The two back edges will then join and align easily.

Picture 4 – The part is now attached to the middle of the body at the top and bottom.

Start by attaching the top. Make sure it is centred correctly on the body – if it is not aligned accurately then the wings will later not be aligned either.

Let the top dry, and then glue the bottom into place. Do not glue the centre flap yet – leave this open as it will help by making the body more flexible when the wings are attached.

It now starting to look like a bird!

Next step – making and positioning the wings.
Attached Thumbnails
Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-uc1.jpg   Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-uc2.jpg   Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-uc3.jpg   Hoopoe - Johan Scherft-uc4.jpg  
Old 10-10-2018, 11:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Nice work, good photos of the real one.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:20 AM
Eternal Member

Thanks Wayne.

It is actually a very nice build and going to look (I think) quite good when finished.

I still have the Scops Owl, so will be nice to have them together.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:01 AM
Eternal Member

Busy on the wings on and off.

In the meantime here are some more interesting snippets on this bird.......
  • There are nine subspecies of Hoopoe – and one was actually named (“Upupa eremite epos “) in 1758 by Linneaus himself. “Upupa” while Latin, in os also onomatopoeia (a word that represents a sound) for its “oop oop” call.
  • The distinctive “oop, oop” is actually the male mating call given in Spring – to defend territory and to attract females.
  • Its flight is interesting, as it nearly closes it wings in each beat as it flies – this causes an undulating flight pattern.
  • It often will take quite large prey – it then beats them on a stone to break them up into smaller eatable chunks.
  • Hoopoes love the sun and often sunbathe by lying in the ground with their wings spread out