PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 01-12-2019, 07:11 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Will be watching with interest. I have downloaded several of his free models, and have also purchased his boxed set "Beautiful Paper Birds". I look forward to building them (eventually).
Old 01-12-2019, 08:16 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Thanks Don. Well, once you have got a handle on the method of building, they are great fun.

And the build thread I hope will help anyone new to the birds to do this!
Old 01-12-2019, 09:35 AM
Eternal Member

The Body

PART 1

Ok, time to start with the body. The construction of this follows the standard method used by Johan in most of his smaller models and consists of forming an “egg” shaped body out of a single piece of paper.

It looks difficult, but go slowly and carefully and you will find it quite easy! This time I will cover making the body in some detail, so it is clear how the shape gradually forms itself.

Picture 1 shows the body part cut out and ready to build.

In this picture, the head end of the body is at the bottom of the picture. What will be the back of the body is in the centre – when built, the join will be at the bottom of the of the formed body.

Picture 2 - On the sheet of parts there is a small diagram to indicate all the cuts that must be made on the body. Check this to see that everything is cut out. Here I have drawn in the less obvious cuts that have to be made

For the first stage of joining the body, start by glueing the first lot of tabs closest to the neck.
  • Dry fit each tab to see how it goes and how the body bends and reacts when the tab is in place.
  • To seat the tab properly, and get the shape of the body right, place the next tab ON TOP of the part. This ensures the first tab is “seated” accurately. After the first tab has dried, the next tab is flipped back down, and the following one up etc. This helps to get the seams spot on and tight.
  • Gently bend the curves needed to get the first tab glued easily AND the shape of the body as smooth as possible.
  • I glued each side alternatively.
  • Exposed edges where the body is dark should be coloured with a pencil. The other edges where the body is pale can be left.
Picture 3 - The body after the first lot of tabs have been glued.

Picture 4 – Here I have coloured in the glued tabs in yellow to make the process clear.

Note all the next tabs have been flipped on top. Note also how the body is now coming into shape.

After the tabs are all dry, the next lot of tabs must be glued.

Picture 5 - The next tabs now glued in place, and the body is starting now to become more rounded.

Picture 6 - The glued tabs in yellow show the ones fixed to get this shape.

Compare the above with the early pictures to see how glueing the tabs correctly creates the rounded shape. Remember to glue using the tab flipping technique I outlined above.

PART 2 below is a continuation of this section of the build.
Attached Thumbnails
Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-pic1.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-pic2.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-pic3.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-pic4.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-pic5.jpg  

Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-pic6.jpg  
Old 01-12-2019, 09:47 AM
Eternal Member

The Body - Part 2

PART 2

Picture 1 - At this stage, some initial burnishing can be done to smooth out the joins and any little kinks. This picture shows the tools I use, but before I got these, I used some loose ball bearings and small spoons which work well. Teaspoons are about the biggest spoons useable, but soda spoons (with the long handle) and assorted mustard spoons (ex-flea markets and boot sales) also worked well for me.

Picture 2 – Burnishing in progress.

Picture 3 – All tabs glued. View from the bottom of the body.

Picture 4 – View from the top/neck of the body.

Picture 5 – View inside the body.

Finally to finish the body, reburnish the inside and shape gently with your fingers as you dry fit the remaining tabs on the sides of the body join.

Picture 6 - Then starting from the neck, glue the tabs one at a time, again flipping tabs as you do this to get the correct shape.

Picture 7 - The body with two-thirds of the tabs glued.

Picture 8 – The finished body – Front

Picture 9 – The finished body - Rear

Picture 10 – Right side.

Picture 11 – Underside.

So there we are - an egg shape from a single piece of flat paper.

All for now!
Attached Thumbnails
Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-pic7.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-pic8.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-pic9.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-pic10.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-pic11.jpg  

Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-pic11a.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-pic12.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-pic14.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-pic15.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-pic16.jpg  

Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-pic17.jpg  
Old 01-13-2019, 11:53 AM
Eternal Member

Next step is to prepare the “tail cone” and tail for attachment to the body.

THE TAIL CONE
In Post number 6 I advised that I had made a mistake in cutting out the “tail cone”….

“The mistake was in cutting out the slots in one piece - the "tail cone".

And right at the very beginning of the instructions, Johan actually makes a clear point of advising these slots should not be cut out initially. The reason is actually fairly clear once the instructions are read - this part is shaped into a cone and then glued at the rear of the body from the inside. With the slots precut, there is no way to properly shape the cone when making the part. AFTER IT IS IN PLACE AND DRY, the slots for tail will then be cut.”

Well, I was fiddling with the part just now, and really didn't feel like firing everything up, finding the file and doing a reprint.

So, I decided to try with the existing part - I took the part, shaped it and then tried glueing the “cone” together. I did this very carefully so as not to break the two (now tiny) attachment parts remaining where the two cuts ended.

And, to my surprise, it worked!

The part retained its shape and I was able to dry fit it fine!

Pictures 1 and 2 show the “cone” shaped before glueing.

Pictures 3 and 4 – The finished result.

THE TAIL
The tail is next. 2 feathers need to be attached either side of the tail.

Be careful here as the confusing feather part numbering crops up again here!

After a bit of fiddling and trial, I was able to identify the two feathers concerned. If you have not cut the tail parts out (unlikely at this stage) these are the feathers on either side of the tail part on the sheet.

Picture 5 - T1 and B1, T2 and B2

These parts then have to be glued on the underside of the tail. Place glue on one of the light grey areas on the tail and position the feather so its top edge lines up with the centre of the tail. Flip the tail and check the alignment

Picture 6 – This shows how the underside should look when the two feathers are in place.

Picture 7 – The top of the finished tail.

Next will be the assembly of these parts onto the body!
Attached Thumbnails
Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-bod1.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-bod2.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-bod3.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-bod4.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-bod6.jpg  

Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-bo5.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-bod8.jpg  
Old 01-14-2019, 10:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
I really love following these bird builds I've wanted for years to have the time to design some bird models, I fear the opportunity may not come as so many things I'd like to work on ugh. Johan does a nice job with mimicking feathers, and your builds of them are very nice
Old 01-14-2019, 02:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
That’s a great tutorial Kevin, with a crisp and clear bird build up so far! Good luck with the wings...

Erik
Old 01-15-2019, 12:37 PM
Eternal Member

Thank you, Glen.

Thanks also Erik - am pleased you find the build thread interesting!

-----------------------------------

Onto the next stage - assembly of the basic body.

Nothing here that is difficult.

It is, however, important to take this stage slowly and carefully, as the three different parts must all be aligned carefully.

Picture 1 - The three parts ready to assemble.

The first two parts to be assembled are the body and the "tail cone".
  • Insert the "tail cone" through the HEAD END of the body. If the "tail cone" is turned upside down before insertion into the body, it is easier to slip it in.
  • Dry fit and carefully note where all the edges are when aligned. Make some light pencil marks if necessary so you can align these marks when gluing the two parts.
  • The center at the top and the bottom edges must align.
  • The grey shaded areas down the side must also align.
  • Let the "tail cone" fall back into the body, apply glue around the inside of the tail area, and then using tweezers pull the "tail cone" back up and into place.
  • Adjust the two parts until they are aligned and then hold until they dry.
Pictures 2 and 3 show the top and underside after gluing.

Picture 4. Next, attach the tail. Follow roughly the same procedure as above.
  • First, slide the tail in and dry fit.
  • The center at the top and the bottom edges must align, as well as the grey shaded areas on the side.
  • Dry fit and note where all the edges are aligned. Make light pencil marks again if necessary, so you can align these marks when gluing the two parts.
  • Pull the tail out, apply glue to the body, reinsert, adjust, and you are done!
Pictures 5 and 6 show the finished body.

Picture 7 is a last picture just to show you the actual size of the body - it is fairly small!
Attached Thumbnails
Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-bod7.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-bod8.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-bod9.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-bod10.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-bod11.jpg  

Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-bod12.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-bod12a.jpg  
Old 01-31-2019, 04:08 AM
Eternal Member

The Wings - Part 1

Ok, after a slight delay (other distractions) back to the model!

Time for the wings – an interesting stage as here the wings are being modelled in flight.

PART 1

Picture 1 – This shows all the parts for the wings laid out.

Picture 2 – The parts for one wing.
  • The first step is glue the tabs on the wings together.
  • Dry fit the tabs first and then gently curve the wings to shape them.
Picture 3 shows the wings (top and bottom) after the wings have been shaped and the tabs now glued.

The next step is to attach the feathers.

Picture 4 - Select Feather 1B and B2 and the left wing.
  • On the underside of the wing and feather 1B, there are shaded areas that indicate where the feathers should go.
  • Stick 1B exactly so it covers the shaded area on the wing, and then repeat with B2. Done!
Picture 5 shows the alignment of the feathers – they must, of course, be glued higher up so they cover the shaded area.

Pictures 6 and 7 show how the feathers look glued in place. The picture also shows the two shoulders which will be glued in the next stage.

PART 2 below is a continuation of this section of the build.
Attached Thumbnails
Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-ws1.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-ws2.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-ws3.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-ws4.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-ws5.jpg  

Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-ws6.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-ws7.jpg  
Old 01-31-2019, 04:09 AM
Eternal Member

PART 2

Continuing with the wings...
  • Next, the outer flap of each wing must be folded and glued to the underside.
  • There should be a gentle curve on the outside of the wing and the leading edge should be hollow after it has been glued.
  • Start by shaping the wing around some doweling or a paintbrush handle.
Picture 1 shows the one wing being shaped. The other wing has already been glued. Note the shape of the right wing after it has been glued, as well as the hollow shape of the wing at the leading edge and root.

Picture 2 shows the front of the wing at this stage.

Picture 3 shows the shoulder part ready to be attached. Note that this has been pre-shaped.
  • Start by glueing the shoulder to the top of the wing, aligning it EXACTLY to just cover the shaded areas.
  • When dry, dry fit and then glue the underside – again being careful to align to cover the shaded areas.
  • When glued, the parts should form an angled “bend” at the root of the wings.
  • See the four pictures below which show this bend.
Picture 4 shows the top of the shoulder glued.

Picture 5 the underside of the wing before glueing the shoulder.

Pictures 6 and 7 show the finished wings with the shoulders now all in place.

Next will be the head!
Attached Thumbnails
Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-ws8.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-ws9.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-ws10.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-ws11.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-ws12.jpg  

Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-ws14.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-ws15.jpg  

Last edited by Kevin WS; 01-31-2019 at 04:25 AM.
Google Adsense