PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 02-04-2019, 10:52 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Beak and Feet

THE FEET

Picture 1 - This shows the two basic parts cut out.

Picture 2 - The leg portion of the feet needs to be rolled into shape. I used a toothpick again to do this.

As the rolled leg is quite small, it occurred to me it would be easier to just glue the legs around a toothpick!

Picture 3 - This shows the two feet preshaped along with the toothpicks I used.
  • To get the toothpicks to the right diameter they needed thinning.
  • From my wooden shipbuilding days, I have what is called a "David Plane".
  • This is a cunning little tool that clamps 5 double-edged razor blades together for use as scrapers. It has a metal protective cover, which needs to be used!
  • A Dutch invention, and very effective. Recommended
Picture 4 - The "David Plane" in all its glory!
  • Lastly, the hind claw needs to be glued together.
  • The claws then need colouring in the inside and on the edges - I used black watercolour for this.
Picture 5 - The finished feet.

Next stage will be a start on the assembly of all the parts made so far - the body, wings, head, beak and claws.

For the base I will need a small block of wood - but can I find one? Nope. The hunt goes on.... A piece of parquet flooring to cut up would be ideal!
Attached Thumbnails
Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-cl1.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-cl2.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-cl3.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-cl4.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-cl5.jpg  

Old 02-04-2019, 04:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Very good work in those claws. I did not know this tool, in my old times also in naval modeling in wood I used sandpaper, files, blade and drill. I did not know this device.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:24 AM
Eternal Member

Vinalssergio155 - the plane is something I saw years ago in a shop and bought at the time. Works well and is very useful for shaping planks in ship building. Very quick to use.

Never seen it for sale since. Can't find it on the internet either - just looked, although there are plenty other David single razor planes...
Old 02-06-2019, 09:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Hey, that's funny when I looked at your "David plane" picture - the text on the box is in Dutch. De Reus onder de Dwergen means The Giant amongst the Dwarfs.

I know in South Africa part of the population speaks Afrikaans, which is very close to Dutch (it's actually based on 17th-18th century Dutch with all kinds of other influences) although it's tough to understand for a Dutchman if you're not used to its intonation, but the text is definitely Dutch.

Nice legs though, Kevin!

Cheers,
Erik
Old 02-06-2019, 09:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Fine feet. And I am glad to know about the David Plane (de wonder David 5).

Don
Google Adsense
Old 02-18-2019, 11:16 AM
Eternal Member

Just a short note to say this build is still ongoing.!

I needed the piece of wood for the base, and eventually, I had to resort to cutting a piece out of a very a large plank - using totally unsuitable tools (all I have).

I have then sanded and stained this, and am now waiting for dry weather (it's been pouring and is very damp) so I can varnish it and then carry on.

Incidentally, immediately after finishing the block I found a bag of wooden offcuts that would have been perfect! So it goes. At least they are there for next time...
Attached Thumbnails
Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-block.jpg  
Old 03-03-2019, 10:02 AM
Eternal Member

Mounting the Bird

Well, back on track now.

The delay here was due to the fact that I required a block of wood for the base (and I could find none when I wanted it). So as mentioned in the post above I eventually cut a piece out of a large plank!

At the same time, I also needed a piece of steel or "piano" wire - this was another mission as it seems this stuff is as scarce as hen's teeth. And just as expensive. Anyway, I managed to source a bit.

So, I have now put aside the Millimodel I have been busy with in the meantime (L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.) and recommenced the Flycatcher.

----------------------------

Picture 1 - This shows all the pieces remaining to now complete the Flycatcher.

Picture 2 - The pieces need for mounting the bird - obviously the bird's body, plus a block of wood, a piece of wire and a piece of dowelling or a skewer.
  • The wire should be fairly stiff. I used steel piano wire - strong but still bendable with care. This should be cut to 15cm (6 inches).
  • I then stained, finished and varnished the block of wood. Just prior to varnishing, I drilled a small pilot hole in the centre of the wood, and then using the wire to guide me, used a miniature reamer to enlarge the hole in the wood. See Picture 3 for details of the reamers.
  • In making the hole I was aiming for a tight fit, as I want to be able to disassemble the model for storage.
  • Lastly, a matchstick, skewer or piece of doweling is required for the wing and wire attachment that runs through the body of the bird.
  • I used a small skewer for this - this should be 4.7cm long (1.9 inches)
Picture 3 - Next step was to make a hole in the breast of the bird to take the mounting wire (I had not made this early in case I needed to adjust the position a bit).
  • I pricked out a small hole with the tip of my scalpel blade, and then used one of the reamers to enlarge the hole. You can see the hole in the picture.
  • The reamers I use are a miniature set.
  • A high-quality set is expensive but can be used on any material, including wood, plastics and metal.
  • The best source is a watchmakers supply shop - they carry decent quality reamers that will not snap. These particular reamers are made in France and are one-piece, the handles being made out of the metal.
  • They will last a lifetime with care.
Picture 4 - I then tried the skewer for fit in the bird, then removed it and bent the end of the wire into a loop that fits around the skewer.

Picture 5 - I then inserted the straight end of the wire through the neck of the body and threaded the end through the hole on the breast. The length of skewer was then inserted and threaded through the loop at the end of the wire.
  • Large blobs of PVA were then used inside the body to secure the skewer in place.
  • Once the PVA had dried, I then centred the wire on the skewer, mixed a small amount of epoxy resin and then used this to glue the wire to the skewer.
  • I also took a blob of the epoxy and placed it inside the body where the wire exited the breast.
  • The epoxy now needs to dry overnight, before I can attach the wings, head and beak.
Picture 6 - The bird mounted on the wire, which I clamped in a pair of surgical forceps while it dries overnight.
Attached Thumbnails
Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-st2-1.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-st1-1.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-st3-1.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-st4-1.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-st6-1.jpg  

Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-st7-1.jpg  
Old 03-03-2019, 02:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
You are nearing completion Kevin, although attaching the wings to the body may be a tricky hurdle before reaching the finish line...

The steel wire with the wood provides a solid base to display the model. I remember taking the finch to the garden (which is also in flight), taking pictures and editing away the wire. Gives a nice result - perhaps an idea?

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-img_3072.jpg  
Old 03-04-2019, 02:20 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks Erik for the comments and suggestions.

Yes, nearly there - with a bit of luck I may finish tomorrow.

By the way - suberb job you did on the finch. I missed your build somehow, so enjoyed going through it as an unexpected surprise.

For those interested, Erik's build of the finch is here....

Johan Scherft's Finch
Old 03-04-2019, 02:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks great, Kevin. Thanks for the info on your wire-and-skewer arrangement.

Don
Google Adsense