PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 01-05-2019, 08:17 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft

Time for my first model of the year!

In my build thread of the Scops Owl (Scops Owl - Johan Scherft), Erik Zwaan suggested another one of Johan Scherft's birds - the Collared Flycatcher - as my next bird. So, here goes Erik!

-----------------------------

The model is available from Johan’s site as a download and is priced in Euros.

It is a small model (although lifesized still) and consists of 2 A4 pages, each with a scale on the one side to ensure the prints come out at the right size.

The instructions are six pages of coloured photographic instructions for each of the various stages, and also include a colour photo of the finished model and some information on the real bird.

I actually have had it printed out for some time now, and eventually found the print, only to think it felt rather thin. I checked it with callipers, and as I suspected the paper panned out at 80 grm paper. Johan's instructions say to print on 80 or 120 grm paper.

Although I generally prefer making the birds out of thinner paper, after a bit of thought I decided to print it put on 120 grm rather - bearing in mind that it is going to be a bird in flight, which means the added stiffness could well be needed. In the USA/Canada, 120-gram paper equals 26lb bond or ledger (a paper thickness .065 of an inch +/- 0.004 inches).

The picture below shows the 2 model sheets – the white overspray is my work! The picture is low quality - just to give an idea of the parts - and is not representative of the quality of the actual model (which is very good).

-----------------------------

I know nothing about the real bird at all, so after reading the info included with the instructions I looked up what I could.

A few facts about the real bird.
  • They breed in central/southeast Europe/southwest Asia and are migratory, wintering in sub-Sahara Africa.
  • Habitat is deciduous forest, gardens, and parks, where they nest in cavities in old trees (oaks are preferred).
  • Suprisingly population numbers are increasing - fairly unusual in today's world!
  • The birds feed on insects in flight, caterpillars and berries.
Attached Thumbnails
Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-image1.jpg  

Last edited by Kevin WS; 01-05-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 01-05-2019, 08:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I look forward to seeing another of your bird builds, Kevin.

And it is a very pretty bird, indeed!

Don
Old 01-05-2019, 08:53 AM
Eternal Member

Don - I am quite looking forward to it. It is the first one of Johan's "in-flight" models I am making, so I am interested to see how it goes.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Luck Kevin, although you do not need it, we already know what you do with these birds. It was interesting to see her in flight. It's strange that the population increases. I suppose Mother Nature will know why. Greetings.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:21 AM
Eternal Member

Vinalssergio155 - thank you!

I am depressed by the fact that many birds in Europe and Africa (those I know a little about) are on the decrease generally, so I was surprised to see the increase in these birds. They have a huge and healthy population.

I was even more surprised as they favour nests in oaks trees - and the latter are dwindling. But at the fact they are increasing is good - urban adaptation maybe?

You can check out bird status on the various Red Lists - these exist for continents and countries.

Here is the recognised European Red List

BirdLife Data Zone

And one for the UK

https://www.bto.org/science/monitoring/psob

And one for the USA - try the US Wildlife Site...

https://www.fws.gov/endangered/species/us-species.html
Old 01-05-2019, 10:34 AM
Eternal Member

On to the build.

The first step was to cut all the pieces out in one go.

After cutting the pieces out, I then went through them and checked them to see that I had scored the various folds as required, and then cut out the various slits.

Picture 1 shows all the pieces once done.

I was then studying the instructions a bit more, with a view to starting the build, when I realised I had broken one of (my) cardinal rules - READ THE INSTRUCTIONS FIRST! - and as a result, had a mistake on my hands!

The mistake was in cutting out the slots in one piece - the "tail cone".

See Picture 2 below - the slots NOT TO CUT OUT are marked in yellow!

And right at the very beginning of the instructions, Johan actually makes a clear point of advising these slots should not be cut out initially. The reason is actually fairly clear once the instructions are read - this part is shaped into a cone and then glued at the rear of the body from the inside. With the slots precut, there is no way to properly shape the cone when making the part.

AFTER IT IS IN PLACE AND DRY, the slots for tail will then be cut.

Off to the printer.......
Attached Thumbnails
Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-image2.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-image3.jpg  
Old 01-08-2019, 03:05 PM
Eternal Member

Moving on with the build, I noted from the instructions that the individual feathers and the tail parts had to be glued to each other to make double-sided parts.

I therefore decided to start with these - for the simple reason they would reduce the number of loose parts floating around!

Picture 1 shows the parts laid out before glueing.

But the numbering on each of the feathers is not really intuitive, and after they were cut out, I found I had to go back to the original part sheets to work out which part was paired with which.

Picture 2 shows the parts laid in pairs, in case anyone runs into the same problems after cutting out the feathers.

Going clockwise, the pairs are ("T" stands for top, 'B" for bottom).....

3T and 3B
4T and B4
T1 and B1
1T and 1B
2T and B2
T2 and B2

The parts are very accurate, and if cut out carefully, correspond very well when glued back to back - there was minimal trimming of white areas to be done. The tail was the same in terms of accuracy.

Picture 3 shows the parts after they were glued together - to the right of the tail the feathers have been trimmed. To the left of the tail, the feathers still need trimming (note the white edges).

Next will be to commence the build proper, by starting with the most important part - the body.
Attached Thumbnails
Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-image4.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-image5.jpg   Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft-image6.jpg  
Old 01-12-2019, 12:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Kevin ,

ooh , it looks very nice , I never build an Johan Scherft bevor

Kind regards
Kurt
Old 01-12-2019, 03:30 AM
Eternal Member

Thanks, Kurt. You must give one of his models a go. They are great fun and nice for giving away as gifts. There are free ones you can download if you want to try.....
Old 01-12-2019, 04:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Hi Kevin, great choice! This is a very nice model to make and your eventual choice of paper, 120 grams, yields the best result. Good luck, I will be checking in regularly.

Another bird in flight by Johan Scherft is the finch. That one is more colourful and also very elegant.

Cheers,
Erik
Google Adsense