PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 01-12-2019, 12:25 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Wryneck - Johan Scherft

Well, today I got Johan’s new model of the Wryneck, and could not resist plonking it down on the workplace to build - along with two other builds I have running. Not an issue – as I often do this and swop from one model to the other as I work. Gives me something to do while parts dry!

The Wryneck has just been released, and is available from Johan's website as a paid download. Nice to see a new model – I think it is basically nearly a year since his last (the Robin).

The download is 9 pages and contains a cover sheet (with some interesting information about the bird), 3 pages of parts and 5 pages of Johan’s usual “photo” instructions

The actual model itself has a total of 19 parts, and due to the quality of the various colours needs a decent printer to get the most out of the artwork. Each part sheet has a measurement scale showing a 10 centimeter bar at the side - to ensure all the sheets are printed to the right size and match each other in size!

The recommended size of paper for printing is 80 or 120 gram – 120 grm = 36lb bond or ledger. If you want to use 80grm (24 bond or ledger) this should also work.

Picture 1 shows a picture of the bird from the cover sheet, courtesy Johan Scherft.

Picture 2 shows the three sheets printed out and ready to go. As per usual the white blocks are my addition.

So, the next step will be for me to cut out all the parts as per usual, as well as find out a little bit more about the actual bird!

As for the other 2 builds - well one is the Collared Flycatcher (Collared Flycatcher - Johan Scherft) and the other is.........well let's just leave as a surprise for the moment. Suffice to say I am cutting out pieces and also writing up the background to the kit, which I think will really be of interest to a few people.

And it's not another bird!
Attached Thumbnails
Wryneck - Johan Scherft-wryneck..jpg   Wryneck - Johan Scherft-w2.jpg  
Old 01-12-2019, 01:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
What a beautiful bird!!
It's hard to resist the temptation, no? When I go to the copying center, I usually print 3 or 4 models that I have in order of construction. I never fulfill that order, something new always appears on the way and I go back to the copying center And the impressions pile up, more and more and more .....
Old 01-12-2019, 01:22 PM
Eternal Member

Vinalssergio155 - Yes indeed. You are 100% right!

But I have printed this and will start cutting it out tomorrow night and then slot it in between my other two builds.

And I will not fall into the trap of starting 3 models and not finishing any! The Flycatcher is coming along now fairly fast.............
Old 03-21-2019, 01:21 PM
Eternal Member

Well, at the moment we are suffering here from continued power outages 8 hours plus a day. In addtion the electrical grid and infrastructure locally is not built to be switched and off a few times every day, so on top of the outages, there are now additional power failures due to the infrastructure breaking as a result of power surges etc when the power is switched back on. On top of the outages, twice now we have been without electricity for 24 hours last week. As I work from home as well, I am not amused...

In terms of modelling, this means that I have had problems carrying on with the tiny parts in the L&S Train I am busy with at the moment (L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.) - light issues as I cannot use my lamp in the evening, and for the small work I really need this.

So, given that I have finished the Flycatcher, I decided to carry on now with the Wryneck - the parts are not tiny and manageable by candlelight, lamp etc.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:38 PM
Eternal Member

Cutting Out The Parts

When making birds, the parts are easy to identify and not numerous, so I tend to cut everything out before starting.

In this case, there are 19 parts to this kit - 4 for the base and 15 for the bird.

Cutting them out is straightforward - and for the more complex parts, Johan has provided a small diagram alongside the part which illustrates where all the various internal cuts need to be made.

Picture 1 - This shows the parts laid out after cutting. The colouring and artwork on this bird is stunning.

Picture 2 - Something I also noticed was that the patterns on the bird's body feathers closely resemble birds in flight!

This made me think of Escher's work, especially the bird pictures he drew.

And the thought of a flying bird, with images of flying birds on it, does seem to somehow tie in with an Escher theme!
Attached Thumbnails
Wryneck - Johan Scherft-s1.jpg   Wryneck - Johan Scherft-s2.jpg  
Old 03-21-2019, 02:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
I didn't realize this one was for sale on Johan's site. Looks to be a really nice model.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I'm glad to see that you are building another bird, Kevin.

We don't have wrynecks around here. I see that they are a kind of woodpecker.

I look forward to seeing this one take shape.

Don
Old 03-21-2019, 02:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Looks good, Kevin.
That feather pattern does kind of look like that Escher drawing.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
Well, at the moment we are suffering here from continued power outages 8 hours plus a day. In addtion the electrical grid and infrastructure locally is not built to be switched and off a few times every day, so on top of the outages, there are now additional power failures due to the infrastructure breaking as a result of power surges etc when the power is switched back on. On top of the outages, twice now we have been without electricity for 24 hours last week. As I work from home as well, I am not amused...

In terms of modelling, this means that I have had problems carrying on with the tiny parts in the L&S Train I am busy with at the moment (L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.) - light issues as I cannot use my lamp in the evening, and for the small work I really need this.
Ummm ... off topic a bit from the wryneck, but have you ever considered fitting solar panels Kevin? I live in rainy old Wales but 50% of my electricity comes from the Sun. I'm in the throes of adding storage batteries to the system too so that the free stuff is still available after dark. My dream is to go 'off grid' completely but there just ain't enough sun around here. There's plenty of wind though, so moves are being made to harness that too. I'd imagine there's more than enough Sun available in SA though.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Hey Kevin, I missed out on this one... Good luck with your new bird. It's going to be a beauty!

Erik
Google Adsense