PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 05-08-2019, 07:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
You have made some good progress on the model. That solution for the perch is nice. It is like the bird is on a hollow branch looking for a place to nest.

I found this informative video about some of the behavior of the bird.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:33 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Thanks for that Doug.

Very interesting.

Amazing mimicry as well - does convey the actions of a snake to the tee! Given that a lot of animals, birds, snakes etc may largely use shape as a distinguishing factor, this is particularly effective.

In the case of our cats and shapes, they will run away from strangers. I wear a number of hats, but if I put on a new one or one I haven't worn for some time, they run away!

In the bush, I have also seen lions, leopards, cheetah, hunting animals. If the animals they are hunting moves so that a vehicle or building becomes the "background", the cats lose sight of them. When they move away from the object they become visible again.

Last edited by Kevin WS; 05-08-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:59 AM
Eternal Member

Now for the bird's feet...

When attaching the toes, proceed as follows...
  • Take each toe and roll them into shape.
  • To do this I used a toothpick, rolling them on the soft edge of the hand (the edge opposite to the thumb).
  • Then take each toe and carefully glue the top edge of each claw (nail) together.
  • The bottom of the claw should be left open - this gives the claw its shape.
Picture 1 - This shows the rolled claws ready to be attached.
  • Next step, before glueing, is to identify the correct toes for each foot.
  • The toes are not identical - they have a cut-out on one side, and the front toe on each foot is longer than the back toe.
  • So, sort the toes so the longer toes are on the top.
  • Then take one toe with a hole on the left and one with a hole on the right and you have the toes for one foot.
Start by dry fitting on one foot the outside and inside toe to give you an idea of the angles that will apply.

Picture 2 - Then glue the outside toes to the branch at the base of each leg, as shown in this picture. This picture also shows the approximate angles you should have for the toes in relation to the leg.

Picture 3
- Then repeat the process with the inside toes.

Picture 4 - This picture is to illustrate the angles you should have for the toes.

Picture 5 - Lastly, I then glued the tips of the claws to secure them, and also placed extra glue around the feet. I also then added some more watercolour paint to the legs (the skewers) to blend them better with the feet.

Nearly there now! And if you have not yet watched the video posted by Doug (two posts above) DO SO - it's worth watching!
Attached Thumbnails
Wryneck - Johan Scherft-f1-1.jpg   Wryneck - Johan Scherft-f2-1.jpg   Wryneck - Johan Scherft-f3-1.jpg   Wryneck - Johan Scherft-f4-1.jpg   Wryneck - Johan Scherft-f5-1.jpg  

Old 07-24-2019, 01:32 PM
Eternal Member

Well, after a pretty long break, I think I am now able to start modelling again.

This one is nearly there, so hopefully, I will be able to finish it in the next few days.

Watch this space.....!
Old 07-24-2019, 02:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I look forward to completion of the wryneck, Kevin.

Neat video, Doug.

Don
Google Adsense