PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 10-09-2019, 05:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Johan Scherft's Robin

Hello everyone,

Now the F7A is finished, it's time for something less complex, but equally satisfying. For years I’ve been very much impressed by Johan Scherft’s bird models and one of his recent creations is the robin.

This little rascal is quite common in the Netherlands and sometimes also visits my own backyard. It can be aggressive towards other birds but is always curious about human behavior and keen to snatch a worm dug up by a busy gardener. In Dutch the bird is called "Roodborstje" (Little Red chest), which is a bit odd since the chest color is more orange than red.

The model consists of 11 parts plus 2 required for the mount. It comes with elaborate building instructions and can be purchased for 5 euros from Johan’s website. The second picture show all the parts, with exception of the mount.

The body consists of one part only and is of an amazing design. It's in fact the most complicated part of the model and can best be assembled by working as symmetrical as possible, and bit by bit. By doing so, the flat part slowly transforms into a real body. I'm still working on it and the pictures show the result up so far. To be continued!

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Johan Scherft's Robin-robin-picture.jpg   Johan Scherft's Robin-img_0906.jpg   Johan Scherft's Robin-img_0923.jpg   Johan Scherft's Robin-img_0924.jpg   Johan Scherft's Robin-img_0955.jpg  

Johan Scherft's Robin-img_e0956.jpg   Johan Scherft's Robin-img_e0957.jpg   Johan Scherft's Robin-img_e0958.jpg   Johan Scherft's Robin-img_e0959.jpg   Johan Scherft's Robin-img_e0960.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 10-09-2019, 05:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I am always glad to see a Johan Scherft bird under construction in skilled hands!

Don
Old 10-09-2019, 07:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
Beautiful! I always loved the Robin, I had a picture of one in a snowy landscape, it was a picture I'd stop to see everyday.

I admire Johan's models, but I came to know that he is an incredible painter as well. I saw his drawings on Facebook, and they're absolutely breathtaking.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Glad to see this one built. I really am starting to get an itch to build one of these little guys again
Old 10-14-2019, 09:23 AM

A bit of progress

Thank you Don, N96HBK and Vermin King. Indeed, Johan is a gifted artist and his creations are great.

A bit of progress on the robin. The body is completed now, as well as the tail. I glued a lot of small pieces of scrap paper at the inside of the body to seal any small gaps and to ease the process of smoothing out any joints, resulting in a minimum of visible angles.

The tail consists of two parts, one more or less part of the body and the actual tail. Installing the conical part from the inside of the body is somewhat tricky, as it's difficult to properly press the gluing tabs from the inside, unless you have long and slim fingers. The paper is thin (120 grams A4) and can easily be damaged when applying too much pressure.

After installing the flattened tail, small gaps remain on either side where the two parts meet. With a bit of white glue and massaging the gaps they more or less closed eventually. When dry-fitting the wings however, it appeared that these gaps are covered by the wing tips and hence are not visible. Anyway, that'll be next .

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Johan Scherft's Robin-img_0963.jpg   Johan Scherft's Robin-img_0964.jpg   Johan Scherft's Robin-img_0966.jpg   Johan Scherft's Robin-img_0965.jpg   Johan Scherft's Robin-img_0980.jpg  

Johan Scherft's Robin-img_0981.jpg   Johan Scherft's Robin-img_0982.jpg   Johan Scherft's Robin-img_0988.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-15-2019, 08:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Beautiful work! Pretty bird!

Don
Old 10-15-2019, 10:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello Erik ,

oohh , very nice !!

Kind regards
Kurt
Old 10-15-2019, 11:45 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Hello Erik. Just caught up on this!

Nice to see your build of the Robin.

I made this in 2017 when I was in the UK and finished it completely - all that had to be done was glue on the head. I left it with a friend so he could finish it and get a feeling of accomplishment, but when I last saw him he still had to stick the head on!
Old 10-21-2019, 08:50 AM

Wings and landing gear

Thank you Don, Kurt and Kevin! I'll come to the head later but I can imagine your friend hesitated regarding the head - it's tricky.

I've been using the word tricky before, and that's mostly related to the thin paper (120 grams A4 size), which increases the risk of dents and other damage. However, 160 grams is just too thick and stiff. Works perfectly for planes, trains, architecture and the like, but not for tiny birds.

Wings are finished now and glued into position.

Next is the landing gear and the mount. It's a very clever design as the wooden sticks that make up the legs protrude through the mount and are attached to an internal substructure. The other ends run through the body and are kept in place by slightly sticking through small holes in the body, just underneath the wings. With the legs, claws and toes in place you don't notice this clever design feature. Note that I used thin board from a cereal box to reinforce the mount, otherwise it's very flimsy. Another advantage of reinforcing the mount is that it stabilizes the "weight and balance" of the entire model.

Next will be the head and the beak... and that'll be all.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Johan Scherft's Robin-img_0984.jpg   Johan Scherft's Robin-img_0985.jpg   Johan Scherft's Robin-img_0989.jpg   Johan Scherft's Robin-img_0990.jpg   Johan Scherft's Robin-img_0991.jpg  

Johan Scherft's Robin-img_0993.jpg   Johan Scherft's Robin-img_0994.jpg   Johan Scherft's Robin-img_0995.jpg   Johan Scherft's Robin-img_1004.jpg   Johan Scherft's Robin-img_1005.jpg  

Johan Scherft's Robin-img_1006.jpg   Johan Scherft's Robin-img_1007.jpg   Johan Scherft's Robin-img_1024.jpg   Johan Scherft's Robin-img_1026.jpg   Johan Scherft's Robin-img_1029.jpg  

Johan Scherft's Robin-img_1030.jpg  
Old 10-21-2019, 02:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Beautifully done. Scherft is a master and so are you.
Ab
Google Adsense

Tags
johan, robin, scherft