Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Kevin,is looking great!
Old 01-25-2020, 05:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Truly gifted mate.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:26 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Vinalssergio and Mike - thank you for your kind words! Appreciated.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:29 AM
Eternal Member

Making The Body - Part 4

Part 4.

Having made the tail cone this is now attached to the body.

Picture 1 - This shows the body parts (excluding the head which I have yet to make).

The easiest and cleanest way (in terms of glue) to attach the tail cone, is to proceed as follows...
  1. Drop the tail in through the neck and dry fit it.
  2. Familiarise yourself with the way it sits - the seam on the bottom of the cone should align with the join line on the bottom of the body.
  3. In my case, I trimmed the bottom of the body edge slightly for a better fit, but this was not really necessary - I was just being "picky"!
  4. Holding the body with "head" end facing down, let the tail cone drop back inside. Then apply liberal amounts of glue around the inside of the body opening at the tail.
  5. Using a pair of tweezers, then reach in through the tail opening and grab the end of the cone, rotating it until it is aligned with the body.
  6. Then pull the tail cone back until it comes into contact with the glue around the opening at the bottom of the body.
  7. Quickly clean up any excess glue that oozes out - I use a wet finger to do this, wiping my finger with a damp cloth. Remember before cutting out the model, I sprayed it with varnish - as well as preventing "splitting" on folds, this also protects the finish so it can be wiped as well to clean up glue or marks.
  8. Then ensure the tail cone is aligned and positioned correctly.
  9. Reach in from either end and press the tabs down against the body. I use both a dental probe and tweezers to do this - you can also use dowelling or anything similar.
And this part of the body is done. Simple!

Pictures 2 and 3 show the tail cone in place.

Next step will be to "stuff" the body with tissue and also then add the supporting dowels for the wings.
Attached Thumbnails
Bluethroat - Johan Scherft-bd16.jpg   Bluethroat - Johan Scherft-bd18.jpg   Bluethroat - Johan Scherft-bd17.jpg  
Old 01-29-2020, 09:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I've been known to stuff birds and small animals with tissue, but I've had a problem with doing that on Johan's models because of the skewers.

I do hope you will show how you stuff and still allow the skewers to run through. I found that very frustrating
Google Adsense
Old 01-30-2020, 11:52 AM
Eternal Member

Thanks, VK - yes I will cover the stuffing method I use.

But this time around I am thinking of a change to the model as well maybe, which will also affect how I stuff it!
Old 01-30-2020, 12:47 PM
Eternal Member

Making The Body - Part 5

Part 5.

Before inserting the dowels and “stuffing” the body, the tail feathers should be attached.

These were made up earlier (to reduce the loose number of pieces after I had cut them all out at the start of the model).

Picture 1 – This shows the tail ready to be attached.

Picture 2 – Now the tail has been inserted and has dried, before the tail feathers are inserted the additional slots should be cut out on either side with a pair of scissors. The area to be cut is shown in yellow on the picture.
  • The tail feathers should then be dry-fitted a number of times to check the fit – make further cuts if necessary to get a good fit.
  • Apply glue to the inside of the cone.
  • Also, apply glue around the edge of the shaded area on the tail feathers.
  • Carefully insert the tail feathers and then clean off any excess glue around the join with a damp finger/damp cloth.
  • Hold the tail cone gently on the top and bottom for a few minutes to keep it compressed against the tail feathers while the glue dries.
Pictures 3, 4 and 5 are views of the body with tail on.

Can't wait to start on the head, but still have some work on the body to finish!
Attached Thumbnails
Bluethroat - Johan Scherft-bt1-1.jpg   Bluethroat - Johan Scherft-bt2-1.jpg   Bluethroat - Johan Scherft-bt3-1.jpg   Bluethroat - Johan Scherft-bt4-1.jpg   Bluethroat - Johan Scherft-bt5-1.jpg  

Old 01-31-2020, 12:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.52 MB
Look great Kevin ! Can't wait to see the end product !
Old 01-31-2020, 04:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Yes, the head is the cherry on the cake because of the opened beak. Keep it up Kevin, you're doing great.

Have you already thought about how to display the model when it's finished? Johan turned into a bird mobile, but personally I would prefere a thin steel rod and small wooden stand, similar to e.g. the fly-catcher and finch. In that case you have to estimate where the center of gravity would be (likely underneath wings, as expected) and fix something that holds the rod in place. It certainly would look nicer than nylon strings or similar.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:42 AM
Eternal Member

Thanks hrodgers!

----------------------------------------------------------

Erik - you read my mind.

In one of the posts above, I said: "But this time around I am thinking of a change to the model as well maybe, which will also affect how I stuff it!". That's what I was referring to!

I hate and loathe suspending models, and the Flycatcher on a wire looks so good and is so easy to handle, that I have decided to attempt a similar approach. I just now need sufficient pieces made up so I can use these to ensure I have the best approach.