PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 07-26-2020, 05:30 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Paper Trade #8 Zeehond

Hi all,

I have been sitting on this kit for a long time, bought it with some other Paper Trade kits.
The reason for me in building this kit is too see if I can get myself out of a building slump, 20 parts should allow me to do so.

As the title mentions, this kit is published by Paper Trade, and is designed by fellow member Ben Elfrink, and printed by our friends at JSC.

The kit consists of 2 pages of parts, the cover image, and a 2 sided instruction diagram and text, in 4 languages, included in the text, is write up about this species of Seal, and its history as it relates to the Netherlands(first picture).

I started with the kit last night, cutting out the 4 parts for the base, and the 5 parts for the center former and attachment tabs(second picture).
The third picture has a "close up" of the base, with one of two fishes attached to the sides and the nameplate.

Most of this afternoon, I have spent color matching different shades of brown, and various pencil types, you can see some of the color swatches on the paper surrounding part #3(fourth picture)

More to come

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Trade #8 Zeehond-20200726_120022.jpg   Paper Trade #8 Zeehond-20200726_155036.jpg   Paper Trade #8 Zeehond-20200726_155042.jpg   Paper Trade #8 Zeehond-20200726_182231.jpg  
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 07-27-2020, 05:24 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Nice! I've yet to build a wildlife model. Will be following along with interest.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Rick, how nice. Hard to believe the model only consists of 20 pieces! Will be off to the island of Texel in two weeks' time, and will likely see quite a few of them in their natural habitat.

Regards,
Erik
Old 07-27-2020, 06:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Good to see you working on a model, Rick. Looks like a good start.

Don
Old 07-27-2020, 06:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
I tried to send a message apologising for this model, but something went wrong. This was one of my very first publications, so I had no experience at all of what details to check as 'publisher'. I wanted a very simple model, aimed at younger children, selling at the visitors' centre 'Neeltje Jans' on the artificial island in the middle of the enormous storm surge barrier in the SW of the Netherlands. Ben Elfrink did the design, which suited my purpose. Then i asked a watercolourist to do the colouring - who had no experience with paper models, so did not know the tricks to 'fit' the colours on various parts...
However, it sold quite well for several years, earning some money for more ambitious plans. I also hope it did what I had in mind: stimulate children to sit down and actually make something with their own hands!
Google Adsense
Old 07-27-2020, 10:07 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Good luck Rick!

Still battling with builders slump and that model I mentioned when we last talked truly is c***! I started it - terrible design and terrible instructions as I thought...