PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 10-11-2020, 01:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.52 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
We have 21 humming birds in South Africa, but they are relatively hard to find

The interesting thing is when they do turn up you usually see about 3 or 4 species at the same time!

Humming Birds are known as Sun Birds here.
Your Sunbirds are pretty as these hummers, we are getting cold here so won't be seing them for awhile, but I watch them on the Texas hummingbird cam on youtube...also watching the nesting Peregrine in Melbourne..live is amazing.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:55 PM

With some thinking and puttering came up with this flower on my own, I flattened one of the Petunia's in our hanging pots on the scanner, and selected some parts for the leaves and drew up the parts in Photoshop, the flower is pretty simple but turned out nicer than I thought and took a picture of a few other flowers in the pot for a background.
Attached Thumbnails
J. Scherft hummingbird-dsc_0253.jpg   J. Scherft hummingbird-dsc_0252.jpg  
Old 10-11-2020, 02:12 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Well done Glen.
I think the photos of them around flowers are much more appealing than the ones around feeders. More often than not, they seem to favor red flowers.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 520.55 MB
Hi Glen
that's a good point about the wings not being blurry, and that mount you've created looks excellent! I've made a couple of others - the Wren and the Firecrest. Both using thin card - I cut the tabs off so I could butt join them with underlapping pieces. Touched up with acrylic paints and added a drop of clear varnish on the eyes.

As for flowers, one advantage of being in the UK is that we don't have humming birds here, so I can plead relative ignorance about exactly which flowers they feed on :o) I planned to display all the birds in a small glass case with some of the very nice orchids Vermin King provided a link to a while ago: (https://northamericanorchidcenter.org/orchid-gami)
Old 10-11-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mash View Post
Well done Glen.
I think the photos of them around flowers are much more appealing than the ones around feeders. More often than not, they seem to favor red flowers.
Thanks Mike I have a hard time getting pics without the feeder in it! Sometimes they fly up to you close to inspect if you have a red shirt on..
Old 10-11-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
Hi Glen
that's a good point about the wings not being blurry, and that mount you've created looks excellent! I've made a couple of others - the Wren and the Firecrest. Both using thin card - I cut the tabs off so I could butt join them with underlapping pieces. Touched up with acrylic paints and added a drop of clear varnish on the eyes.

As for flowers, one advantage of being in the UK is that we don't have humming birds here, so I can plead relative ignorance about exactly which flowers they feed on :o) I planned to display all the birds in a small glass case with some of the very nice orchids Vermin King provided a link to a while ago: (https://northamericanorchidcenter.org/orchid-gami)
I cheated as I've seen them in these very petunias, I have done the wren but am still thinking about it it turned out a bit narrow which I think is a mistake but still looks nice will post pretty soon if I can think of an interesting display. The wren is much more like our winter wren rather than our house wren...
Old 10-11-2020, 11:19 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Glen - that flower is excellent! Well done for the creative streak there!
Old 10-12-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
Glen - that flower is excellent! Well done for the creative streak there!
Thanks Kevin, I really am impressed by how well designed these models are to look like the real bird, fun