PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 10-10-2020, 01:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
J. Scherft hummingbird

Ok, next up is the Ruby throated hummingbird, but we don't have that type here, our equivalent bird is the Black chinned, a bit more gray overall and no red in the throat iridescence, although it does shine blue though in the right light. I was not sure my use of regular cardstock would work with this little thing, but after not being satisfied with typing paper gave it a go. Works just fine and is a much sturdier model. The little changes in the colors with photoshop and this is my effort on that model. The bill is not paper and Johan suggests using a matchstick or similar fashioned to shape. I'm not sure how to mount this though...thinking
Attached Thumbnails
J. Scherft hummingbird-dsc_0246.jpg   J. Scherft hummingbird-dsc_0244.jpg   J. Scherft hummingbird-dsc_0248.jpg   J. Scherft hummingbird-dsc_0249.jpg  
Old 10-10-2020, 02:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 520.55 MB
Very nicely done Glen - looks great. These are lovely models that go together well. I also found card better than thin paper, and used a cocktail stick for the beak.

For display, I was planning to download a suitable flower and stick the end of the beak into it so the bird appeared in mid flight.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
Very nicely done Glen - looks great. These are lovely models that go together well. I also found card better than thin paper, and used a cocktail stick for the beak.

For display, I was planning to download a suitable flower and stick the end of the beak into it so the bird appeared in mid flight.
Thank you Steve have you built several of Johan's models ? Did you locate a flower to use? I think some flowers could even be scratch made I suppose although not tried it. Since the wings are stopped and not blurry as they are when you see them it is possible to just put on a small twig as if the bird had to spread its wings for balance on a windy day
Old 10-10-2020, 04:00 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Glen, I have made a few of these humming birds.

I mounted a couple in paper flowers. I made the beak thicker at the tip and cut a groove in it (down the length of the beak on the underside) to take a fairly long piece of piano wire. I then filled the beak with thick paint and repainted it.

I then made a paper flower and inserted the wire through the flower and into the stem. The wire can then also be bent to adjust the position of the bird.

For paper flowers do a search on YouTube - there are lots of how to videos - and then chose a flower you like. You can scale the flower up or down so it looks right alongside the bird!
Old 10-10-2020, 04:20 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hummers are near the top of my list of favorites.
Great work Glen.
A few years ago I spent some time trying to get some photos of them.
These were at a local park that had a feeder.
I don't know what the first one is, but I believe the second is the Ruby Throated variety.
Not great images, but I was lucky to get any pictures at all.
Attached Thumbnails
J. Scherft hummingbird-099-hummingbird.jpg   J. Scherft hummingbird-100-hummingbird.jpg  

Last edited by Michael Mash; 10-10-2020 at 04:40 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 10-10-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
Glen, I have made a few of these humming birds.

I mounted a couple in paper flowers. I made the beak thicker at the tip and cut a groove in it (down the length of the beak on the underside) to take a fairly long piece of piano wire. I then filled the beak with thick paint and repainted it.

I then made a paper flower and inserted the wire through the flower and into the stem. The wire can then also be bent to adjust the position of the bird.

For paper flowers do a search on YouTube - there are lots of how to videos - and then chose a flower you like. You can scale the flower up or down so it looks right alongside the bird!
Thanks for the ideas Kevin This hummer is an interesting little model, nice too that is a free download, fun.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mash View Post
Hummers are near the top of my list of favorites.
Great work Glen.
A few years ago I spent some time trying to get some photos of them.
These were at a local park that had a feeder.
I don't know what the first one is, but I believe the second is the Ruby Throated variety.
Not great images, but I was lucky to get any pictures at all.
We enjoy the hummingbird feeder, they are busy little birds and pretty as gems, glad you get to see them, they come back here in April, some years if we are slow to put up the feeder they fly up repeatedly to where it is supposed to be!
Old 10-11-2020, 07:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Nice work, Glen!

Rubies are the only hummingbird here in Carlisle.

Don
Old 10-11-2020, 08:56 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
We have 21 humming birds in South Africa, but they are relatively hard to find

The interesting thing is when they do turn up you usually see about 3 or 4 species at the same time!

Humming Birds are known as Sun Birds here.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Nice work, Glen!

Rubies are the only hummingbird here in Carlisle.

Don
Thank you Don these models are so cool. Most of the US east of the Rockies has the Ruby Throated, We have a few more but not as many as the Southwest, wow lots of kinds there. Our most common species is the tiny Calliope, just a smidge bigger than the smallest, the Bee of Mexico.