PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 11-03-2020, 05:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
White-Crowned Sparrow, (Johan's Yellowhammer)

When I see these models my mind goes to other birds not yet available, especially US birds that I am familiar with. However, the Yellowhammer model is a old world bunting family bird, not the same as the related to Finches and Sparrows, still it is close enough to be a start on lots of them. My yearning to make a bird model myself has been stalled for years, thank heavens for Johan's work. By using just the outline of the Yellowhammer, I printed it on card, painted it by hand with watercolor and came up with a template that I can use for this bird. I have built it a few times and made changes, until now I think is pretty true to the White Crowned and only some changes to wings and tail and legs...not finished with the feet but close..I thought I would make one to show how to build it, and will apply nearly equally to the Yellowhammer model you can get from him.
Attached Thumbnails
White-Crowned Sparrow, (Johan's Yellowhammer)-dsc_0311.jpg  
Old 11-04-2020, 12:53 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Very talented and well done Glen!!!!

Glad the birds have given you a new lease on life.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:34 PM

Birds are great companions in the outdoors, thanks Kevin
Some early starting pictures of the sparrow, the body is cut out without tabs and I start forming the various curves and shaping the places where they will join, color the edges, I used pencil and watercolor for the edges, was not too happy with acrylics for this one. Then I cut strips of typing paper for the glue strips and start gluing the cutouts together, watching the curved ball like shape develop.
Attached Thumbnails
White-Crowned Sparrow, (Johan's Yellowhammer)-whitecrown6.jpg   White-Crowned Sparrow, (Johan's Yellowhammer)-whitecrown5.jpg  
Old 11-04-2020, 08:45 PM

It is a little tricky by the leg feathers, you will have to see where the triangles form up to make the shape, just test and see how it fits and shape the parts, glue securely if too much pull on a joint can wait for the glue to set up more or I will cover with a second glue strip where needed as it also gives alot of strength. Using 110 lb card, but 65 would be easier.
Moving on to the head, there are some cutouts to glue and shape on the crown and I started there, working down to the bill. The bill is in 2 halves, so I put a valley shaped glue strip inside the upper mandible. This has to be pretty solid as some force to spread this occurs here but with patience lines up ok. When solid there I go ahead and work closed the other parts of the face. The lower mandible goes together pretty well with a little glue strip in the center.
Attached Thumbnails
White-Crowned Sparrow, (Johan's Yellowhammer)-whitecrown7.jpg   White-Crowned Sparrow, (Johan's Yellowhammer)-whitecrown9.jpg  
Old 11-05-2020, 05:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
looking good Glen

Google Adsense
Old 11-05-2020, 07:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
very well done...
Old 11-05-2020, 08:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The image of the half-painted model in Post #1 is beautiful.

So is the head of the bird in Post #4.

As I type, black-capped chickadees, white-breasted nuthatches, tufted titmice, white-throated sparrows, cardinals, and a Carolina wren are fluttering around in the back garden. A white-crowned sparrow would fit right in with them. They exist in this area in the winter, but I have never had a confirmed sighting. I will have to take a closer look at the white-throats - maybe there will be a white-crown in among them.

Don
Old 11-05-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanmodels View Post
looking good Glen
Thanks David
Old 11-05-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRD View Post
very well done...
Thank you FRD having fun
Old 11-05-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
The image of the half-painted model in Post #1 is beautiful.

So is the head of the bird in Post #4.

As I type, black-capped chickadees, white-breasted nuthatches, tufted titmice, white-throated sparrows, cardinals, and a Carolina wren are fluttering around in the back garden. A white-crowned sparrow would fit right in with them. They exist in this area in the winter, but I have never had a confirmed sighting. I will have to take a closer look at the white-throats - maybe there will be a white-crown in among them.

Don
Hi Don, the possibilities of doing other birds is intriguing, glad you like it, the drawings were done a bit enlarged then copy and flipped in Photoshop and reduced back to size. I ended up changing a few things also after some test printing and building. The White throated would be a relatively easy swap, lots of attractive sparrows, the Lark Sparrow is particularly pretty.
Your yard birds sound great, we've had California Quail in the yard, nuthatches, chickadees, song sparrows our " outdoor pets"