PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Zoo

Old 12-16-2020, 09:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post
Great work.
Spend a little time this afternoon watching the sparrows and towhees scramble around on the hillside across the street. Nothing special, just peaceful watching.
Thanks, do you have brown towhees there? Green tailed? A towhee would be a cool project.
Old 12-16-2020, 02:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
No, think just on the edge of the green tailed. They are more southern AZ in the higher elevations. Around here its Abert's and brown towhees. Just plain brown, but sort of hyperactive little birds. So fun just to watch hopping and jumping around.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:52 PM

Oh yes I recall the Abert's now...
Finishing this bird up, have carefully placed the typing paper thickness mouth and with some time fitting and trial and error can eventually get the lining where you want it, the glue in place loosly around the margins of the open mouth and then to the beak. With a bit of glue to stiffen the paper along the sides of the upper mandible makes a cool beak. Some paint to finish up the beak and mouth. This part is rewarding to make because the appearance of the model becomes more alive. The wings and tail are similar to the other Johan models, I did use 2 layers of card for the wings, and instill quite a bit of curve to the part that glues to the body. I wanted a bit of overlap on the lower edge and glued that down a bit later, and did paint the back of the wings gray. Edges painted with watercolor. Tail similar did add an extra feather on top and 2 to lower edges again, I like how this method looks. Feet are like a biplane strut, sandwiched a bit of wire CA glue to stiffen and affix the wire. Positioning is fun for me, and after making the branch spend a bit of time seeing how it looks in different positions of the legs.
Attached Thumbnails
Hermit Thrush model-dsc_0494.jpg   Hermit Thrush model-dsc_0488.jpg   Hermit Thrush model-dsc_0495.jpg   Hermit Thrush model-dsc_0496.jpg   Hermit Thrush model-dsc_0498.jpg  

Hermit Thrush model-dsc_0502.jpg   Hermit Thrush model-dsc_0501.jpg   Hermit Thrush model-dsc_0503.jpg   Hermit Thrush model-dsc_0504.jpg  
Old 08-25-2021, 03:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Question for birder...

Hey @birder -- I am new to this forum and very bad at it. I'm VERY intrigued by your models and would love to chat more -- I sent a "friend request" but I really don't know what I'm doing on here. I'd love to chat more via email if that sounds good to you - I'd love to swap models. I'm working on North American native birds (I've posted a number of them to Reddit but I am new to this forum). Let me know what you think!
Old 08-25-2021, 05:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Wow, Glen...that is super cute. Extremely well done!

Dan (Western WA)
Google Adsense
Old 08-26-2021, 09:03 AM

Thanks Djm123, I'm happy to hear of your projects, let me know if you have more interest in any particular redraw (send me a PM)
Johan has a particular talent for modeling these to look realistic, and really are fun to make, much more interesting in the hand than in pictures. Looking forward to seeing what you have been working on.

Dan thanks I'm enjoying your builds although not much opportunity for me to do much presently, I've been doing a bit of rigging on my ship, projects in mind though, am hoping to redraw parts of my Grumman Duck to share with you guys if it works out ... although may not have much for instructions and cockpit would be scratch still..
Old 08-26-2021, 01:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
We occasionally get a hermit thrush in our garden, but I haven't seen one for a long time.

I certainly like yours.

Don
Old 08-27-2021, 08:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 559.14 MB
Good job
I also really enjoy seeing and building Johans' models
Abraham
Old 12-22-2021, 06:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.46 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by birder View Post
Oh yes I recall the Abert's now...
Finishing this bird up, have carefully placed the typing paper thickness mouth and with some time fitting and trial and error can eventually get the lining where you want it, the glue in place loosly around the margins of the open mouth and then to the beak. With a bit of glue to stiffen the paper along the sides of the upper mandible makes a cool beak. Some paint to finish up the beak and mouth. This part is rewarding to make because the appearance of the model becomes more alive. The wings and tail are similar to the other Johan models, I did use 2 layers of card for the wings, and instill quite a bit of curve to the part that glues to the body. I wanted a bit of overlap on the lower edge and glued that down a bit later, and did paint the back of the wings gray. Edges painted with watercolor. Tail similar did add an extra feather on top and 2 to lower edges again, I like how this method looks. Feet are like a biplane strut, sandwiched a bit of wire CA glue to stiffen and affix the wire. Positioning is fun for me, and after making the branch spend a bit of time seeing how it looks in different positions of the legs.
I love your works, they look real