View Single Post

Old 03-20-2010, 06:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
FGMM Convair XFY-1

I recently received a shipment of Red River silver paper, and am experimenting with it to see how to build with it. My first build was the XF-85 Gremlin, built with basic RR paper with no modification. Lessons learned was that RR paper is doesn't hold a curl like regular cardstock, glue blemishes are easy to get and hard to clear, and that it's thick enough to use for most Fiddler's Green models without reinforcement.

My next project is the Convair XFY-1 Pogo. Changes from the XF-85 build will be using Krylon Kamar Varnish on the RR paper after printing to seal the surface, using regular cardstock for the non-metalic parts, and trying super glue to fasten metallic to metallic joints. That being said, lets begin.

I printed three sets of pieces, one on Red River metallic paper, one on regular cardstock, and one on regular copy paper. The metallic paper parts will be used for wings and fuselage, the cardstock pieces for the black nose cone leg stands and wingtips, and the copy paper will be used for the insignia.

One problem I had was when I printed out the parts on the RR paper on high resolution the printer didn't print out part of the sides. I wasted three sheets of paper trying to get the parts. I finally got a good set of parts when the printer was set to normal paper and low resolution.
Attached Thumbnails
FGMM Convair XFY-1-102_2128.jpg   FGMM Convair XFY-1-102_2129.jpg