View Single Post

Old 03-25-2010, 06:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
A little more progress. For me, the trickiest bit about this model is joining the upper wing with the fuselage, and getting the maze of struts right. I have stiffened most of the struts by folding them around a strip of basswood, that I can get in 0.0208 x 0.0208 inch strips (I think it is supposed to be scale lumber for train sets). I had the upper wing, tail booms and tail all as one unit, and the lower wing and fuselage as a second unit. I started with a central kingpost that joins them, gluing it into slits in the bottom of the wing and top of the fuselage, letting the model hang by its wingtips in a box with blocking to keep the fuselage in the right position. Then I cut and placed the outer interplane struts, and the struts that go from the back of the fuselage to the tail. Now it is stable, and the rest of the struts and the two motors can be fit in. I let the basswood extend out beyond the struts slightly, and use that to help anchor it in a tiny hole in the wing or fuselage. The motors are little jewels at this scale Decision point = to build them silver or with the printed side out. Will try the latter, for contrast.
Attached Thumbnails
FGMM Sikorsky S-38 at 1:100, in silver-dscn1088.jpg   FGMM Sikorsky S-38 at 1:100, in silver-dscn1090.jpg   FGMM Sikorsky S-38 at 1:100, in silver-dscn1092.jpg   FGMM Sikorsky S-38 at 1:100, in silver-dscn1093.jpg