View Single Post

Old 04-02-2010, 09:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Weird, I started it too...

Last night, I printed out the kit. First, I did a print straight from the PDF onto heavy stock. Then I had an idea of somehow printing it so both sides of the wings were colored, so I did a 'screen print' capture to the Windows Clipboard, then pasted into a Word document for sizing. This worked, but how to get the back of the parts printed? So, I copied the Word Image and pasted into MSPaint then did a "Flip" and then pasted that back into the Word doc as a separate page. Since I can use the Image Box Format functions to both center and size the boxes identically, I just printed each page separately, running the sheet through the printer twice and so ended up with a mirror image on the back - which gave me wings colored on both sides!

Then I determined the wings would look better using thinner stock, so they appeared more translucent, so I repeated using regular paper stock instead of the 110# card stock.

One lesson from this is that the print from Adobe Reader was more distinct (can see the stranding in the hair parts) than my copy-pasted versions in Word or Paint. I wish there was a way for the PDF to be configured so the parts could be "shuffled" around even if they cannot be edited, but that might be a stretch...

After all this, I took the leaf "base" from the card sheet (single sided print) and embossed the 'vein' pattern from the back (first held up to a light so I could lightly pencil the pattern on back), then flipped it and 'rubbed' in between the vein pattern to further 'raise' the detail. I used an old wooden paint brush handle for this - not the best perhaps, but it did the job. Then I took the paper version with the mirrored print and used a glue stick to laminate both the card and paper to 1) thicken the leaf and 2) provide color to the underside so my intended 'edge curl' will look okay.

So, UHU02's model obviously challenges the modeler to think about "what comes next" and provide some creative process work. Thanks for the 'heads-up' on the paper weight issue, Tapcho. I will use the head parts to test building using both card and paper - it may work best using a mixture of both (for example, the 'shoes' and dress may be better in card while the natural translucence of the lighter paper may look & build better for the 'skin' parts.) I do intend to remove many of the glue tabs and replace them with internal reinforcement strips (when possible or indicated) to have smoother joints, especially for 'rolled', cylindrical parts. Also, I am attempting to cut on the inside of the outlines to help hide the joints better - for this model, a "no-lines" version would have been great.

Further observations/ thoughts at this point: besides the wings, I plan on using the 'extra' hand parts to provide underside color - they appear to be essentially symmetrical left & right, so just a bit of 'touchup' with colored pencils to obscure the 'fingernail' detail and "Bob's your uncle".
Also, might I be able to print the eyes on glossy photo paper, cut out eyes from head and glue the 'glossy' version from inside? While I'm doing that, I may add the eye lashes as well. Plus, looks like I need to add a small ribbbon to the hair bun and some fine 'glitter' as pixie dust - for 'accuracy' - Ha! Am I afflicted with AMS or what!

I will try and post some IW images if I can figure out how to do that...
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale

Last edited by rbeach84; 04-02-2010 at 09:24 AM. Reason: More info