View Single Post

Old 04-05-2010, 07:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Tatebanko - japanese paper vignette

I got the idea to do this vignette from ‘papermodelfan’s’ (Rob Tauxe) original post which can be read here: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/h...tatebanko.html

I’ve often admired some ancient and modern tatebankos and decided now to do my own. In Rob’s post there’s a link to the website on Museum of Fine Arts in Boston and following Robs instruction found fairly good size photos of these old papermodels (with an acceptable resolution too). These original prints we’re made sometime early 19th century (my quess) and they are wood prints colored with ink and colors. I printed the picture on a 5 by 8 ‘’ matte photopaper and started the build. It was fun, it was fast and I loved every minute.

The vignette pictures the Kaminarimon Gate (The Thunder Gate) in front of Senjo-ji temple in city of Asuka (this is what the title of the picture tells and it does have some resemblance with the gate, but not enough)). So it could also be that the vignette pictures what appears to be a drunken fight in the ‘red light’ district. Squirmish gathers audience from the near by brothel and has caught the attention of a couple walking with their dogs. In that case the title given to this work ‘Thunder Gate’ could be an amusing riddle and play with words. This is my interpretation, feel free to come up with your own story.

Hope you like it friends.
Attached Thumbnails
Tatebanko - japanese paper vignette-photo-original-print.jpg   Tatebanko - japanese paper vignette-instructions.jpg   Tatebanko - japanese paper vignette-front.jpg   Tatebanko - japanese paper vignette-front2.jpg   Tatebanko - japanese paper vignette-detail.jpg  

Tatebanko - japanese paper vignette-back.jpg   Tatebanko - japanese paper vignette-kaminarimon-gate.jpg