View Single Post

Old 04-05-2010, 05:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
Terrific, Tapcho! Great idea to build it. This funny little scene is by Hokusai, early 19C, one of the top artists in Japanese Woodblock Prints. In addition, he published dozens of books of comic sketches, and I would I would not be surprised if there were puns within puns here. I know of one of his models is of a two story Japanese public bath house, with dozens of characters wandering around and soaking. I heard that this is the old 19C gate to the shrine, (maybe on the North Side?) now supplanted by the much larger main gate that you show the photo of.

Yug - If you can go to that shrine, perhaps you can ask if there was an older smaller front gate in the early 19C, and if it still exists, compare it with the model. As for tatebanko, hundreds of artists published thousands of these from the 1700s through about 1915, when the form collapsed, along with the entire woodblock print art form. Some were very sophisticated, with ten sheets of parts or more, and moving panels and other parts. If you want to see more built ones, try these website - my colleague (and paper model designer of note in his own right) Tony Cole held an exhibition of about 18 of them in Tokyo a couple of years ago.
?????? ? Gallery ??? blog Tony Cole???????????KIYOHIME?
?????? ? Gallery ??? blog Tony Cole??????????Asagao-Nikki?
I think there are more images but have not succeeded in locating them

Tony and I wrote up our notes on the whole phenomenon for the German language publication "History of Card Models" (volume 8). Arbeitskreis Geschichte des Kartonmodellbaus (AGK) e.V.
We also put a report on how to build them in the equally obscure "Painters' Journal", a publication for people who make theatrical sets. Many of the tatebanko are kabuki play scenes, you see. If anyone has any ideas about where one could publish something in English about this intriguing but forgotten bit of paper model history, I am all ears.