View Single Post

Old 04-27-2010, 09:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
FGMM JU-87B Stuka

Well, you may not believe this, but I've decided to add a couple more Stukas to the Stuka wall. Actually, it wasn't really a decision, more of a standard policy!:o
I've built the FG Stuka four or five times before at least. It's a good kit and does a fine job of capturing the difficult form of the Stuka in a simplified manner. The kit comes with an interior, but I'm going to ruin my model by scratchbuilding my own! :D
The kit is of Hans Ulrich Rudel's JU-87B, the number one Stuka ace. I've made some color changes to darken the kit, which is far too bright and vibrant. It's still not right, but it's less blinding than the original. I've also changed Rudel's blue tipped spinner to a yellow one, just to make it different.
I'm planning on building the cockpit interior as I build the rest of the plane, so I will be adding the details in place. I started by putting in a floor;
FGMM JU-87B Stuka-img_3793.jpg

The basic fuselage is together. The fit is quite snug on a couple of these sections and I had to proceed slowly and pay close attention (completely against my nature) to get it right, but it does fit. As you can see, I've also been working on a smaller scale version. It would have been done last week, but for problems with the canopy. It's a really difficult size to work with and I've failed at five various attempts with different techniques. I'll get it, but it's a tough nut to crack, that's for sure.

FGMM JU-87B Stuka-img_3794.jpg

I'd really love to see someone more talented and skilled than I do a few recolors on this one. A desert scheme and a winter Russian Front come to mind!
Chris