View Single Post

Old 04-29-2010, 04:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeach84 View Post
Just to say, per my post under Chris' other related thread, that a SIG might be more appropriate than organizing a Chapter. One, Chapters have an affiliation to a specific National organization, whereas SIGs do not. Two, the activities of Chapters revolve around physical conduct (meetings, shows, public displays, etc.) that doesn't really match to the concept of a 'virtual' organization. Last, Chapters must pay annual chapter charter dues (though minor) and have elections, where all officers must be current members of the national branch, and have at least 5 current members (including the officers.) To me, this "format" doesn't match to what I believe Chris is trying to do - which appears to me to establish a 'formal' link between the paper modeling community and the IPMS organization. Since SIGs are normally organized by IPMS members of common interest, are inclusive in nature, international and virtual in practice, all while being officially recognized by IPMS, this seems a better 'fit'. If 'paper' is to integrate with 'plastic', then an 'layer' of IPMS members doing paper modeling irrespective of chapter affiliation should do the trick.

What do you think?
In light of the international aspect of this forum, I think you are right, a SIG would be better than a chaper at this point. Those of us who are IPMS members should be actively promoting paper in our local clubs (which I do), enter paper models in IPMS and AMPS contests (which I do) and provide reviews to the national organization to post on the website or ultimately in the IPMS journal (which I also do).

Greg