View Single Post

Old 05-30-2010, 11:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Post 8

With the wing structure essentially complete, I took a 'break' and made up the last two fuselage sections, which includes the vertical tail and rudder.

The aft fuselage went together nicely with my 'overlapping' technique, though the curvature about the rear former was small and here the stiffness of the paper resisted the overlap more strongly.

The vertical tail was a new type for me because the leading edge was not straight and required me to incrementally glue the edges. I did a fair amount of preforming (using my burnishing tools and the ol' palm meat) especially at the bottom of the rudder which had to match to the rear fuselage section. To support this, I created a copy of the part 8b former, with an extension to fit up into the vertical tail. This is aligned to the aft edge of the horizontal tail spar (not yet installed) and will serve as a glue point. I cut the top of the "hole" and folded it over to form a 'handle tab.' This added me in aligning it into the tail part. Since this ad hoc former was card stock and not cardboard, I stiffened it with CA. Once all was attached, I applied a bit of CA to the inside. I've done this in the past, and the CA would usually discolor the paper (darkens it) but perhaps the Krylon prevented it this time as the color was unchanged. Once the glue set, I trimmed off the little handle to it wouldn't inter with the fuselage joint.

You might have noticed that part 13 is missing the spar slots - I just cut them in and Nobi has said it is on his list.

(To be con't)
Attached Thumbnails
BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale-img_5798.jpg   BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale-vert_tail_parts.jpg   BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale-img_5801.jpg   BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale-img_5802.jpg  
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale