View Single Post

Old 05-30-2010, 11:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Post 9

Now a "family portrait" to bring the thread up to date. I have already attached the aft fuselage dorsal fairing to help check the vertical tail joint, which was looking a bit sloppy. However, with the fairing in place, the vertical tail actually overlaps it, which improves the "sit" of the tail. So, now I know the fairing must go on first anyway.

When I do it again, I will include a couple of tabs on the fairing that I can then insert into slits cut into the aft fuselage section. This will make the attachment of the fairing much more precise and provide a more robust glue point (I will do it for the forward fairing section to 'test' my technique concept.)

As for findings reported to Nobi, these included:
1) Part #13 is missing the slots for tail spar.
2) All fuselage "skin" pieces are too "long" (wide?) as they overlap on the bottom seam by ~1-2mm. Example: part #1 was too big diameter if rolled to a butt seam - had to trim, later used a chamfered overlap joint.
3) Part #13 really should have a vertical former (bulkhead) to fit along the rudder line from bottom of rudder to a bit past the spar slot - helps the rudder line match the aft fuselage at part #8b.
4) Part #13a missing label on parts sheet.
5) Include canopy 'frame' on the perspective drawing to aid in placing part #10.
6) Include front, top & side views so angles can be determined.
7) I intend on adding an internal support to the engine pylon running from the wing spar to the engine 'body'. Otherwise, I think the engines will "sag" a bit. This may also require adding an auxiliary wing spar to counter the torque.
8) Recommend a "grey" color instead of black for the panel & edge lines. The black is very stark. In fact, the parts that are red might not need any outlines at all. Perhaps use of a darker shade for the control surface joints to distinguish from panel lines.

Positive findings included:
1) Good perspective drawings and numbering gives clear view of parts.
2) Precision is good, and I have been able to "work around" the excess diameter of the fuselage skins. Parts have been going together well, so angles and arcs are fine.
3) Design allows for adding a cockpit and landing gear + wells without changing the internal structure - no interference results (i.e., the wing spar matches the depicted gear wheel position.)
4) Center line marks are very helpful!
5) Doubled formers allow for good matching between sections...
6) Shape is looking very good, so appropriate number of sections.
7) The cutout 'holes' in the former bulkheads allows for good access to interiors for seam work, shaping and for drying air. (and now, thanks to Ron40, I know they can be used as grab points.)

Thanks for following along. And here's a tip we all can use: don't leave a cold drink near the cutting pad - water isn't good for the ink (note the water stain on the forward nose!)
(To be con't)
Attached Thumbnails
BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale-img_5803.jpg  
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale