View Single Post

Old 07-20-2007, 02:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.31 MB
I thought I'd take a minute while completing the other wing and detail what I did on the tips this time. One thing I wanted to try on
this model was to emulate real wingtip lights (Red and Green). Since I had to build the tip first and then put it on in order to make
it easy to get the "light" installed, this served as another technique experiment. Here are the 2 tip parts, edge colored and glued
together first. Note that I first cut out the triangle shaped "lights" that were printed on. Sorry about the depth of field focus!

Next is the view inside with the material for the lens glued in with some CA. I've painted part of the inside gray as well as some of
the wing framing behind where you can see through the lens so you don't see the white card. I did not attempt to build a box or emulate
a light inside.
The material I used is standard inkjet transparency film, on which I printed Red and Green squares. There's enough of this material on
one sheet to do dozens of planes!

Then, slip the completed tip on! I really like doing them this way. You can control the glueing of the tip edges better, getting a
closer match and less "pinch", and also get a good seam when you put it on because you can dry fit and trim as needed.
The lens result is not 100% right, in that done this way they are not flush with the outside edge of the skin as a real one would be,
plus the edge is not rounded, bit using material like this, you can't really achieve that. It's good enough for me at this point.

Here's an overall view so far with the wings temporarily fitted with their spars (not glued yet, I'm waiting to test fit the flaps).