View Single Post

Old 06-13-2010, 06:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutek63 View Post
Hey Lancer,

Color cardstock is the excellent idea. Unfortunately there are limitations. You won't be able to build an airplane fuselage painted in camouflage and all those printed rivets and access panels etc... So, by using color cardstock, your work will be limited to simple models and uniform areas, like the red bottom of a hull. By using the method that I'm proposing you will be able to put together any part of a model where the part's edges join under almost any angle, without any need for edge coloring.
Peter: You're right, all I've ever done were things that were uniform in color, such as ships, rockets, and a few aircraft that were solid colors, so colored cardstock has been the way to go for me. I've never attempted anything that had color variations such as you describe, and I completely agree that your method is one of the very best I have ever seen for edge coloring...

Quote:
Now to answer your question.
The key to the smooth fit is to cut the card under the right angle, precisely in the middle of the line and avoid touching the edges except for the cases when you're working on the edge to improve its quality, bevel or quality of the fit. If you get those things right you'll cut edge coloring by at least 70 %. the second part of your question regarding glue I'll answer later on.
This is interesting... I've never given it any thought about angle of bevel, or any type of detail like that. It's hard enough to cut right directly on a line, without some minor jog or error. Most of my models have been drawn with one pixel wide lines, at resolutions of 300 DPI. Cutting right in the center of a 1/300" line seems impossible! But, I am eagerly looking forward to reading more on this.

Quote:
Since I'm not talking about covering up folds and coloring edges, but other kind of treatment, I'll put my ideas in the new "Tips and Tricks" thread:

Treating the edges

Regards!
Peter
I'll have to check that out in a little bit. I've got a couple of things to finish before I head out to work. Thank you for taking the time, and for having the willingness to explain!