Thread: 'nuther newbie
View Single Post

Old 02-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee4752 View Post
I think I've decided on my first build. I just hope it's not too ambitious. I found a B-52 model on the Fiddlersgreen.net. It has two versions: The NASA B model in all black with the X-15 and a Viet Nam era D model. What I'd really like to do is convert the D into an H model and change the color to all grey, like the fly today.

Lee

You'll find a number of design errors in the Fiddlersgreen model of the BUFF. The nose could pass as an H model nose, though, so that's a big help. Several years ago, I embarked on reworking GPM's B-52D into the H model, along with fixing design problems with that kit and turning it into 56-0674, callsign Ebony 2, which was flown by a crew from the base I was stationed at the day the aircraft was shot down. Several of the crew were friends of mine. On the GPM "D" model, the nose is a G and H design, the tail gunner position is too long and the markings and paint scheme are incorrect. Bashing it to an H model "Snake" would be easy. However, I am still working on it 8v) Very slowly. Redrawing each part, and placing a new camo pattern on the bird it time consuming.

The H model I plan to turn it into is "Balls 28" which as a nuclear alert bomber at Kincheloe AFB, Mi, in 1973, began to roll during a Green Dot 8 exercise and right in front of me, the bomb bay caught fire, gear collapsed and the bird came to a sparking halt on the only active runway. Of course, it was my one and only time yelling "Broken Arrow" and running for my life (along with everyone else on the tarmac at the time). Several hours later, I began a 13 hour vigil of hand pumping the fuel off the bird so it could be moved (after special weapons were removed).

Mine has been a long road so far, I hope your's goes a bit better and quicker. Good luck, and if you need any help, give a yell.