View Single Post

Old 08-24-2010, 05:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
I add several drops of acetone to a bottle in an effort to create an acetone vapor barrier that will not adversely affect its bonding ability. It seems to work.
Good tip Gil, I’ll give that a try. I’m notorious for leaving the blue cap off the bottle after a modeling session, only to discover I did it when I come back the next day. Been lucky so far that nothing happens to the CA glue. I’ve also heard that any bottle of accelerator should be kept well away from the CA bottle, to point of not even storing the two in the same cabinet. I guess the fear is the one or two molecules of evaporated accelerate migrating over will ruin your CA glue’s day. Don’t know if it’s true but I keep my bottle of accelerator in a zip lock bag when I’m not using it. I actually don’t use accelerator too much (none at all so far in this project). I find the CA levels nicely when left to its own devices, and that accelerator make the glue lump up and porous as the reaction works it's way through.

Didn’t have much “bench time” available last night, so I spent what I had prepping for the “production standard” build by modifying things based on what I learned the other day. Reworked the tread pattern:

Now that everything is spread out a bit, I’ll be gluing all the treads down first on the paper and affixing the whole to the tire in one operation. That should ensure even spacing of treads throughout, and hopefully ensure that everything is rigidly attached. Fashioned a second cutting template tool for the smaller intermediate treads so I can make a bunch in short order (left with the slightly “tweaked” original tool):

Last thing left to do was make more tread stock (0.5mm card to 65lb cover stock). I have a short length of ¼” inch steel bar stock that I use as a press. The size is just big enough to spread glue on corresponding pieces of card and be manageable. I just line some wax paper top and bottom and clamp away:

I’m hoping for a block of time tonight so as to start production…we’ll see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
Please to Continue
You’re likin’ that catch phrase of mine, eh? In the new iteration, I had to settle for what you see below due to the limit of lines and characters for sig lines imposed by the forum. What I really wanted to write was:

“Please to continue (or critique. Is for YOU to decide!)….”

Mike